The commune of Montbron takes place in New-Aquitaine, in the department of Charente. Populated by a little more than 2,200 inhabitants, it is located not far from Angoulême, only three kilometers from the Dordogne. It is also part of the nature reserve of the Valley of the Renaudie.
Inhabited since Prehistory, Montbron really takes life only in the Gallo-Roman era with the foundation of an oppidum. Barony of great importance in the Middle Ages, the commune was known at the time to be on a secondary route of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela and then welcomed many pilgrims.
Today, the city of Montbron has become famous in luxury leather goods with the installation of a Hermès workshop, and still offers an architectural heritage of great importance to appreciate the rich history of this charentaise commune.
Built in the 12th century and renovated in the 19th century, the Saint-Maurice church has been classified as a Historic Monument. Romanesque style, it is in white stone, luminous, and perfectly represents the architectural style of the region. Inside, we can see funerary monuments of the thirteenth century.
Other religious buildings also take place on the commune of Montbron, such as the chapel of Sainte-Marthe or the chapel of Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Secours. A lantern of the dead is also found in the old cemetery.
The current castle of Montbron was built in the 15th century, under the orders of Marguerite de Rohan, Countess of Angoulême. However, some remains of the original building can be seen, notably through the Romanesque dungeon. Inscribed in the Historical Monuments, the building still has a polygonal turret, as well as a beautiful spiral staircase. On the first floor, 17th century painted mantelpieces have been classified as Historic Monuments.
Also listed, Chabrot Castle dates back to the 15th century, and was strongly modified in the 17th century. One can still admire this house with turrets and a gallery with two levels. You will not fail to admire the castle of Ferrières, registered with the Historical Monuments, the castle of Menet, inscribed, or even the castles of Marendat and Montgaudier. The castle of Sainte-Catherine has been transformed into a hotel, while the castle of Lavaud now hosts guest rooms.
Always present, the Barbacane used to serve as the main entrance to the ancient fortified city. Its ramp has been recently renovated and goes from the castle of Montbron to the lower town.
Dating from the Palaeolithic period, the cave of Fontechevade has been classified as a Historic Monument.
Nature lovers will be enchanted and will be able to learn to hike in the nature reserve of the valley of the Renaud, or on the hiking trail, GR 4, which goes from Royan to Grasse passing through the commune of Montbron.
The weekly market is held every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday morning. A night market is held on the first Friday of August. A Christmas market is also available in mid-December.
Every last weekend of February, the town celebrates the mills of Bandiat and Tardoire.
In July, the old castle's summer houses offer regular exhibitions in the building. The municipality also benefits from Active Summer, an initiative of the General Council that offers cultural and sporting activities throughout the summer.
A big bric-a-brac is organized every Sunday after July 14th.
Fariboles, festival of the tale and the imaginary, is held each year at the end of September.
The last weekend of September, the feast of Saint-Maurice offers a fair for three days.
Workshop Prehistory "Sapiens Even by itself"
- From 10 to 11 june 2020
- 13, Rue Gambetta
- Wednesday, June 10, 14h to 16h, Prehistory and You: "Sapiens itself", paintings, prints, statues, how to represent women and men of prehistory? - Presentation and production (modeling or etching). For younger. - Thursday, June 11 at 18h, Prehistory and You: "Sapiens itself", paintings, prints, statues, how to represent women and men of prehistory? - Presentation and production (modeling or etching). For larger. - As part of sanitary measures, the visit is limited to 10 persons loaned material will be individualized and disinfected. - 5 € / child from 6 years old, free for accompanying adult. - RV: Space DEBENATH, the old halls, 13 Rue Gambetta 16220 Montbron, June 34 January 2 97
Concert of the Greatest Mandolin Ensemble French
- On 15 july 2020
- 21, Rue de l'Église
- Florentino Calvo direction. The program included works by Carlo Munier, Markus Kügler, Hermann Ambrosius, Eduardo Angulo...
- On 31 july 2020
- 21, Rue de l'Église
- Violin-piano recital with Ami ignite (violin) and Itamar Golan (piano). - The program includes sonatas by Mozart, Franck, Enesco...
Day of Prehistory
- On 2 august 2020
- 2, Rue Carnot
- Festival of prehistory proposed by André DEBENATH esapce Prehistory (Prehistory Association in Horte and Tardoire). On the program: free tour of prehistoric space exhibition "Prehistorians Charentais" workshops painting, engraving, fire making, flint, prehistoric ornaments... - Free entertainment. Without reservation.
Introducing the Cave Montgaudier
- On 13 august 2020
- Introducing the Montgaudier cave by Christophe Delage, PhD in prehistory. (Presentation to the site)
Opening Concert of the Festival: Furia Francese Invites Amanda Favier
- On 17 august 2020
- 21, Rue de l'Église
- Program: Vivaldi, Haydn, Mozart... - Ticket office open 30 minutes before the concert. Free placement - Amanda Favier is part of the younger generation of French soloists. - Talent early, we note at nine in his first concerto soloist, at eleven and thirteen Salle Gaveau in Paris Conservatory on the benches in the class of Gérard Poulet. She received a Concertmaster price and Advanced Training Diploma with honors, completing his studies with a before following in Cologne Development Round and the London Igor Ozim teaching and Sir Ifrah Neaman. This cultural mix makes it a complete musician, who quickly glean a dozen international awards and became the youngest winner of the International Competition JS Bach in Leipzig. - Therefore, his travels took him as soloist and chamber music in prestigious venues (Leipzig Gewandhaus, Concertgebouw Amsterdam, State Kremlin Palace - Moscow, Victoria Hall in Geneva, the Champs-Elysées Theater Chatelet, City of Music, Salle Gaveau...) with partners and sought orchestras. - In France, it is distinguished by the Price Forthuny of the Academy of Fine Arts, Berthier prices Academic Palms, Banque Populaire Foundation and Adami ("Classical Revelation" and "Violin Adami). - She regularly records for various labels (Lyrinx, Sapphire, Ligea Arion NoMadMusic...). After a first album noticed with pianist Cédric Tiberghien, we retain among other version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons (Sapphire) - Classic Golden RTL - Selection Air France, "Our Choice" France-Music - the best head French sales for several weeks. "In the trunk of the Hairy", published by Arion, has received the label of the Mission War Centennial 14-18 and was distinguished by the newspaper "Le Monde" as one of the best albums of 2014. as for his latest album, three Beethoven sonatas published in 2016 in NoMadMusic with Celimene Daudet, he is the "Choice of France Musique" and Télérama FFF. - "Ideal partner" according to Pierre Gervasoni (the World), Amanda Favier likes the practice it diligently chamber music repertoire. Curious encounters and collaborations, she often mixes his music to poetry, literature and jazz with the contrasting personalities of complicity like Brigitte Fossey, Marie-Christine Barrault, François Castang, Jean-Marie Machado, Yaron Herman... - soon we will find the disc in duet with pianist Dana Ciocarlie and concerto with the Royal Philharmonic 0rchestre Liege.
Concert with the Trio Wilhelm
- On 18 august 2020
- 21, Rue de l'Église
- In line with Rossini or Telemann, Wilhelm trio has always wanted to share a rich and deep repertoire with lightness and humor. - Wanting accessible to all, regardless of social settings or prejudice, Lawrence, Julien and Thomas have to heart to create and maintain the link between culture they love and local life, and not only when of the concert but in schools, cafes, libraries, open to all, just their world. - In doing storytellers, they make you get closer to a work, make you intimate composer by some stories or anecdotes. - In doing treasure hunters, they also have to defend the works of great forgotten repertoire, they are looking for, select and play. Always original in their approach, the quality of their performances earned them being finalists Humanis chamber music contest in Blois in 2017. - Ticket opened 30 minutes before the performance. Free placement
Concert with the duo "he Tasto Giusto"
- On 19 august 2020
- 21, Rue de l'Église
- Tardoire Allegro Festival - Concert with the Duo (mandolin, harpsichord) 'Il tasto giusto " - Marie Cécile Burou and Chartres are two young virtuoso baroque music passionate and romantic. They decided to form their duet to discover and appreciate the public this rich period of musical history. The marriage of the two instruments, the harpsichord and mandolin, offers brilliant sound, original and refined. Their program offers a journey through Europe, in the footsteps of several major foreign composers: Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, Scarlatti, Leone Valentini, Froberger, Guerra Monti Gladd, Calace.
Walk Music Nature
- On 20 august 2020
- 8, Rue des Vieilles Écoles
- Party room Montbron - 14h - Festival Tardoire Allegro - Appointment is given to walkers - To discover the territory Montbronnais music - An appointment is given to walkers planning to hike 8 or 12 km to choose from. - Montbron is fortunate to have a privileged natural environment. The course will borrow shady paths and undergrowth allowing you to admire the rolling landscape of both sides of the Tardoire. Several musical breaks will be offered in remarkable sites: edges Tardoire, castles and mill. - Registration from 14.30 at the hall of Montbron - Departure at 15h. Participation € 5
3rd Potters Market Montbron
- From 22 to 23 august 2020
- 7, Place de l'Hotel de Ville
- At the heart of the city, with 30 mm of Angouleme will be held the 3rd edition of Montbron Potters Market (16), on 22 and 23 August 2020 from 10h to 19h in the square of the town hall. - A selling exhibition where 34 professional potters céramistes- from all over France and even from abroad you will present their artistic creations, decorative or utilitarian in stoneware, earthenware, glazed earth, porcelain, raku... - Come and meet the professionals who will explain their passion for their job... be surprised to discover a world in the heart of the earth. - During the two days, discover entertainment for young and old: - - Learning Path, - - Demonstrations of skills (shooting or jar the Rope) - - Free competition where you can win a creation worth € 150 by draw - - Good shopping to win by lot every afternoon and valid on purchases from exhibitors during the event. (non refundable) - This is an opportunity for a family outing or with friends in a friendly and make you happy again. Gates gestures will be honored to welcome you safely. - Food available on site - Free admission and free entertainment - For further information email: firstname.lastname@example.org - You can also follow our news on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/marchepotiersmontbron - Find all the information on our site https://www.touterre.com/nos-marches/montbron-16