green holiday resort on the left bank of the Loire, Montjean welcomes you all year. Come and enjoy its heritage, its port, the circuit Loire by bike, the proposed hikes and events throughout the year for all to enjoy!
Posed as if by magic on the banks of the last wild river in Europe, the small town character of Saint-Florent-le-Vieil never ceases to amaze its visitors. Mount Glonne which rises to fifty meters above the Loire, has an architectural gem of beauty. The monastic complex that form the ancient abbey Maurist, is indeed an architectural masterpiece, made from a blend of elegance and sobriety. Its abbey church with eclectic styles, contains the tomb of General Bonchamps, who became famous during the "Wars of Vendée" by his gesture of forgiveness, before passing from life to death. Gesture forever engraved in white marble by the famous French sculptor David d'Angers. Part of the choir windows show elsewhere in this turbulent era, which deeply affected the city. The church square offers visitors a breathtaking view of the valley of the Loire and the surrounding area.
Small steep streets of the historic center, you will lead in turn towards the different monuments of the city: the memorial column of the Duchesse d'Angouleme, the chapels St. Charles and Saint-Sauveur...
Saint-Florent-le-Vieil who has an undeniable cultural aura in the Country of Mauges, has a space dedicated to literature: the house Gracq. Indeed, it was in this small city ligérienne was born July 27, 1910 the famous writer. His house is now home to writers from all backgrounds, who come here to rest to write their book with as inspiration, the Loire flowing at the feet of the building.
Here, culture is expressed in all its components: concerts, exhibitions, performances, film sessions take place in the abbey, converted from as cultural place.
Taste the local cuisine: fish from the Loire and Anjou wines will certainly charm you.
To explore the city over water, nothing like a walk on the Loire river following in the footsteps of the illustrious Gracq on the promenade that bears his name. This is certainly by taking this path on the banks of the royal river, you will understand better what the "the softness of Anjou," which Joachim du Bellay, celebrated author of the sixteenth century originated in Liré, was so praised.
- "Cape Loire": Discovery Park on the Loire Skippers: come discover the boat Cape Verde (self-propelled barge of 1929, classified a historical monument in 1994), a permanent exhibition on the skippers of the Loire, theme gardens, rooms temporary exhibitions (in season). Open from April to October.
- Walks along the Loire: Discussed walks from April to November with Ligériade II. Reservations at the Tourist Office on +33 2 41 39 07 07.
- The church of Saint Symphorien is built (1858-1864) on the ruins of the old castle burnt down in 1793 by Republicans. Neo-Gothic style, it dominates the Loire and its valley.
- Montjean The bridge dates from 1948 after having been repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt. It spans the Loire with its 496 m long.
- The Chapel of Saint Aubin dating from the eleventh century has the characters of the novel Angevin.
- The tomb of Edmond Heusschen pyramidal lies outside the cemetery. Benefactor of the town for making it prosperous in the 1850s, the Belgian engineer moved to Montjean in 1854. He bought the concession mining Montjean and creates the Company of Mines and Lower Loire Lime kilns and develops the activity of ligérienne city.
- The Fountain St. Meen erected in 1887 was a pretty important pilgrimage center in the early twentieth century. The water from its source healed (?) Of scabies. It has a small chapel on the pediment of which is inscribed there "A St Meen Châteaupanne Montjean 1889". It is on the altar and before the Pilgrims celebrated what was an office during pilgrimages. Abandoned, vandalized, this chapel is now in ruins and its source is exhausted.
- The gateway replaces Trottier in 1979 the ferry connecting the island of Chalonnes Montjean. It bears the name of hemp farmer Island who wrote to the President of the Republic to achieve its inception. Before its creation the islanders had to detour 20 km through Chalonnes or take the ferry (until 1972). The last ferryman tray, Auguste Leduc, Petty was also the last poet to carry lime to Britain by the canal from Nantes to Brest.
- The Chapel of Our Lady of Good Help was offered by the spouses Arsendeau (the chapel was built on land belonging to them) to the parish council in 1816. The district has built close subdivision is now called the Chapel.
- The docks are spread over 650 m and are stone since 1794 (previously they were in sand). The wharf Salmon (Wharf sailors) was used for the berthing, loading and unloading ships. Monsignor Provost served meanwhile dock to boat maintenance. The goods transported on the river were slate, limestone, lime or exotic products purchased in Nantes and reported in Montjean. The hourglasses were circulated until 1994 (end of sand mining) and oil until 1991. Montjean was the first port of Nantes Loire with 1850 to 1900. 6000 boats per year would spend in 1838 (not counting steamboats!).
- The island of Chalonnes, which with its 13 km long, is the largest island of the Loire. Formerly privileged place for the cultivation of hemp and willow, it now houses another 300 people.
- The headframe of the shaft of the trench built in 1874 is considered one of the largest of the 13 coal mine shoring preserved in France (32 meters high). A horse above the mine shaft of the trench down to 178.5 m underground. A pulley system allowed back bags of coal to the surface so that they are transported through railway, to the lime kilns. Originally, the entire site of the trench included a port, seven kilns contained in the same massive trapezoidal, a mine and a career related to the ovens by a railway track.
- The lime kilns which can be especially seen on the banks of the Loire (a circular walk goes around). Ligérienne the city owns a total of 23, some of which are listed or classified historic monument since the late 80. In traditional form, they form truncated cones ranging from 7 to 14 meters high and 8 to 16 meters in diameter.
Saint-Florent-le-Vieil offers a multitude of activities for all the family, here are a few that might interest you:
- Browse listed Old Town "Small City of Character", the esplanade of Mount Glonne the Gracq walk along the Loire, passing through small steep streets.
- Entering the majestic abbey church, which houses the magnificent white marble tomb of Bonchamps sculpted by renowned artist David d'Angers.
- Cross the cloister of the abbey and discover the traditional sand ball play.
- Visit the old abbey Maurist beautifully renovated open during exhibitions and cultural events in the city.
- The ride on the Loire aboard "Soulair Wind", a ship built in the style of a traditional toue de Loire, with at its helm the young Matthew Perraud, professional fisherman.
- Visit the House Gracq, recently renovated, it hosts a residence of authors and cultural events in the chart room and the remarkable library.
Museum of Trades: 35 trades presented on more than 5000 m² exhibition, through an exceptional collection of tools and antiques. Open to individual public from April to October. Groups all year by appointment.
- Feast of the old crafts and yard sales on the 2nd Sunday of May.
- Day rillauds and pate plum 1st July weekend.
- Symposium of Monumental Sculptures: each year the first two weeks of July. See you around the Monumental Sculpture (exhibitions, workshops, public sculptors working on the docks...).
- Festival "Music From fiber": mid-August. Festival around natural fibers (demonstration, exhibition, market...).
- Garage sales: mid-October.
- Numerous activities throughout the year. Inquire for the program to the Tourist Office.
- Every year in October, the city organizes "The Dating Gracq". A weekend dedicated to the literary work of the famous author, or the themes he studied during his life: poetry, geography... Debates, round tables, concerts and shows are offered to the opportunity.
- Every 2 years, the abbey receives alternately French Societies of Watercolor and Pastel, for an exhibition of one month in the summer.
- Music Festival "Le Rivage des Voix" which takes place the last weekend of May each year. An exceptional program around all aspects of voice, proposed by René Martin, founder and artistic director of "La Folle Journée" of Nantes.
- Each year in July and until early August (5 dates in Saint-Florent-le-Vieil, the last date Varades in August at the fishing village of La Meilleraie), dance to Podiums Florentais (free outdoor concerts) Friday evening.
- In July and August, dramatized tours of Crafts Museum.
- The first weekend of August, the skewer party.
The mix of Amadeus at the Guinguette to the island Bout
- On 13 july 2020
- La Queue de l'Île (Montjean-sur-Loire), montjean-sur-loire
- Spend your evening of July 13 at the Guinguette at the End of the Island with Amadeus. There will be something for everyone, (Electronic music, klezmer, trip hop, variety...).
Wednesday Toddlers: My Funny Boat
- On 15 july 2020
- 20 Rue d'Anjou (Montjean-sur-Loire), montjean-sur-loire
- Natural elements and colors small boats hid in the gardens of Cap Loire. Come have fun finding them! It is a ballad that will allow toddlers to arouse their curiosity and apprehend colors. - Limited places. Reservations. - Animation suitable for children 1 to 3 years. - covid19 health Description: - The mask must be worn in the scenography. - Compliance with social distancing - Alcoholic gel available.
Hay Festival In Granges: Sweet Criminals
- On 18 july 2020
- Le mesnil-en-vallee, ld le Ray Granneau
- In a universe tinged with blues and folkrock the sweet criminals make us travel in environments sometimes "frozenblues" on Tarantino, sometimes "roadmusic" way Ry Cooder. - Two musicians from different backgrounds but common roots and sensibilities. With the sweet adventure criminals, Yves is a breeding ground for great creative freedom, a melting pot urgency of the musical discourse, the unique compositions and severity in tone and writing. - The diversity of topics that it proposes to invite Fred develop his game in a plurality of styles: slide guitar, catchy riffs and solos sometimes delightful PINK FLOYD... - The duo revealed that they form a clear complementarity, but also a complicity that is fully expressed in the pleasure of playing on stage. - distribution: - Guitarist, singer, author / composer Yves Barto - Psychotic guitarist Fred Charco - Lighting system: Snoise Isevitch - Despite the circumstances related Covid 19, we decided to hold this festival by adopting all health measures so that everyone can feel safe.
The Step Brothers All of the island's End
- On 24 july 2020
- La Queue de l'Île (Montjean-sur-Loire), montjean-sur-loire
- They are called "The Step Brothers" and it's not for nothing! Brothers since birth so Nob and Chelito, play music with 2 guitars, a cajon and 2 voice! They like to sing in French, English, Spanish, songs of their creation or takeovers worldwide. - A good evening in perspective in Guinguette at the End of the Island!
Pastel Stage "over the Loire" Loire cap
- On 25 july 2020
- 20 Rue d'Anjou (Montjean-sur-Loire), Cap Loire, montjean-sur-loire
- Françoise Réthoré, Pastelliste of France, will lead a workshop on water and mainly the Loire (working the color of the water, reflections...) to discover the pastel or perfect the technique. - Each student will be personally accompanied in his project, throughout the day. Models will be offered as well as sticks of pastel for beginners. Everyone will leave with his work at the end of the course.
Animation: Stories of heading Loire- Wednesday Toddlers
- On 29 july 2020
- 20 rue d'Anjou, Cap Loire, montjean-sur-loire
- And if we went through the park otherwise? From the garden to the boat is in the form of ballad, games and stories that children will be guided. This animation for the smallest helps develop their imagination about biodiversity and the environment that surrounds them. - Workshop suitable for children 1 to 3 years. - #Bubble - covid19 health Description: - The mask must be worn in the scenography. - Compliance with social distancing - Alcoholic gel available.
Hay Festival In Granges: Social Dancing
- On 31 july 2020
- 1 La Maison Neuve (Saint-Laurent-du-Mottay), saint-laurent-du-mottay
- Concert electro song mapping - Three musicians on stage, a V'J. - Texts committed, jazzy trumpet cigarbox, sax, flute, psychedelic trip, words, two musical worlds intersect, two generations. - Niobe leaves its acoustic path, led by his son Tom to machines. Which holds the other by the hand? The whole is wrapped and put in lights by Manu Drouot, which reconstructs the images, over travel. - These are paintings that pass before our eyes. All of a strength and classy. There is no question of musical aesthetics, it is only a question of poetry, energy, positive vibes and a highly sensitive exchange between the two men on stage and the audience. - Sitting, standing, the way is clear to dance, listen or see. Intergenerational! - distribution: - Author, vocals, trumpet and cigarbox: Niobe - Machine Live: Tom Niobe - Sax, flute: Benoit Lebrun - Picture & Sound: Manu Drouot - Despite the circumstances related Covid 19, we decided to hold this festival by adopting all health measures so that everyone can feel safe.
Theater Evre: Tiger Island
- On 1 august 2020
- 133 rue du Vieux Bourg, Notre Dame du Marillais - le marillais, théâtre de l'Evre
- A couple of young peasants came to settle on the banks of the Mekong. They will try to build a future conducive to the outbreak of the fruit of their love. But fate is sometimes capricious, and will make them an encounter that will change their lives... little known traditional Vietnamese Conte, the island does Tiger remains a timeless story, humanism footprint and crossing through, by all the societal and environmental issues of our modern and contemporary societies. - Founded in 2019, the company hornbill was built around the desire to offer live performances that combine the art of drawing and the performing arts.
Theater of Evre: Feldenkrais Workshop
- From 1 to 2 august 2020
- 133 rue du vieux bourg, Notre Dame du Marillais - le marillais, théâtre de l'Evre
- Moshe Feldenkrais, a physicist and pioneer of judo in France in the 30s, suffered from an injured knee. For the treatment, he observed how young children learn to move. - His method, used worldwide, allows learning to move better, and more generally to go to the ease of movement and action. Lessons can be helpful after injuries but also to prevent pain. - As in 2019, the time of a morning, Chloe invites us to explore how to release back tension and learn to better organize its movements; feel the importance of the mobility of the basin to preserve the health of our backs; find stable support to go easily to the ground and get up without effort. - Workshop open to all without any prerequisites.
Theater Evre: Libounichocho
- On 2 august 2020
- 133 rue du vieux Bourg, Notre-Dame-du-Marillais - le marillais, théâtre de l'Evre
- A dancer wacky creates an imaginary language from onomatopoeia and tongue twisters. Like a puppeteer working in a changing world, she explores the material creating amusing dancing bodies and sound. Ephemeral characters sometimes turn into a bird, sometimes astronaut. - We welcomed David Isabelle Mixed Company Art in 2015 for the first show played on the stage of TDE. So it was with some excitement that we welcome today Libounichocho. Driven by imagination, poetry and reverie, that tender and funny family show will delight young and old. - Outside, free residence output at 16.30, followed by a 1 hour workshop in tandem parent / child (5 € / child * € 8 / € 10 * members / full price). If bad weather, fall within the theater in smaller gauge due to health constraints.