Gilles de la Boë's house, also known as "Maison du Bon Bouillon" is located in the center of Vieux-Lille, at the corner of Place Louise-de-Bettignies and Avenue du Peuple-Belge.
This is a "Flemish Mannerist" style building built in 1636 on behalf of Gilles de la Boë, a merchant in spices and fabrics. At the time, the river port of Lille was located nearby.
Listed as a Historic Monument in 1933, the house then housed a tavern, "Au Bon Bouillon", which explains its nickname. Architecturally, the building, built in stone and brick, has a ground floor surmounted by sandstone arcades in the shape of basket handles or semicircular arch. Upstairs, there are niches which alternate with openings surmounted by triangular or semi-circular pediments. Decorations evoking garlands of fruit were also made between consoles.
Still private property, the House houses shops on the ground floor.
It can mark out a free or guided walk in the historic center of Lille. Information on +33 3 59 57 94 00.