The castle became English at the marriage of Eleanor of Aquitaine, previously divorced by King Louis VII, with Henry Plantagenet became king of England under the name of Henry II.
The fortress remained British for 300 years from 1154 to 1453.
Castle knew famous people:
A troubadour, Emeric Bellenoi, who had an extraordinary vogue in all countries of Occitan, Provence and even Italy.
A proud warrior, Florimont, became Lord of Lesparre in 1362. He went to bring the King of Cyprus duel! Given the scope of the whole Christian Europe scandal will work to reconcile the two. Florimont accept reconciliation provided it is conducted in the presence of Pope Urban IV and the Emperor of Germany. This was done. That is, the fame of the character.
At the 1789 revolution, the castle was declared national property and Ysabeau people representative ordered its demolition in 1794.
Only the tower remains today for our greatest happiness.
The last owner sold it to the city of Lesparre who still owns.
The management was entrusted to the association "Friends of the Tour", which, for over forty years, was a museum of ancient crafts and other treasures of the Médoc.