Notre-Dame-du-Lac church located in the town of Thor, 20 km east of Avignon, is considered as one of the finest examples of Provencal Romanesque art, which is characterized in particular by its elements. of antique inspiration.
It was built at the end of the twelfth century, then dependent on the abbey of Saint-André de Villeneuve-lès-Avignon.
Classified as a Historic Monument from the first list established in 1840, the church is renowned for the refinement of its exterior decorations and its exceptional dimensions for the service of a village parish (35 m long inside).
The southern porch resembles an ancient triumphal arch with its fluted pilasters, palm-leaf capitals and friezes.
The western portal is bounded by columns with various grooves (twisted or even zigzag) and finely carved capitals of plant motifs, supporting a pediment. The tympanum represents a blessing hand.
At the level of the choir, the dome is mounted on four horns in the belly illustrated with the symbols of the evangelists.
The bell tower is singular. The octagonal first floor has at its corners small columns topped with capitals adorned with masks or animals. In the 19th century, a lantern was added.
The church announcing the Gothic style is open to visit all year round in the morning from 10h to 12h. A detailed booklet is available at the Tourist Office (price: 2 euros).
Information on +33 4 90 33 91 84.