The castle of Thouzon is located on a height of the town of Thor, in the Vaucluse, 20 km east of Avignon. A Benedictine monastery was first erected at the beginning of the 11th century, depending on the abbey of Saint-André de Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. Including a church dedicated to Saint-Michel and a chapel dedicated to Saint-Pierre, the whole becomes a stronghold of the county of Toulouse and is the subject of defensive fortifications.
A village is constituted at its feet. At the end of the 17th century, the site which dominates the plain of the County Venaissin is sold to Joseph de Martin, archivist and secretary of state then passes into the fold of the family Merle de Beauchamp, but the religious buildings as the fortifications are abandoned and fall into ruins even before the Revolution.
The remains of the church which has preserved its vault, the small chapel, two towers and some sections of walls were the subject of an inscription in the Supplementary Inventory in 1987. Unearthed in 1870, an altarpiece composed of Willow wood panels painted in oil depicting St. Andrew's is now preserved at the Louvre Museum.
Always private property, the castle of Thouzon is the subject of a restoration campaign by an association that organizes the summer youth projects and entertainment (concerts).
If the site accessible all year round can be hiked, the church is only open on the first and third Sunday of the month, and guided tours of the castle and the old monastery are offered. opportunity. Price: 3 euros. Information on +33 6 52 59 71 24.