Le Teil was originally a castle perched on the mountain. In the 12th century, Lord Adhemar had built or enlarged the castle overlooking the north of the old Roman castrum Melas. The castle was destroyed in 1634 by order of the king.
Thanks to its geographical position, Le Teil has always been a strategic crossing point in the Rhone Valley.
The 17th and 18th centuries, the port is thriving and lively. In the 19th century, the activity slows. Following the construction of the railway and dam Rochemaure port activity declines.
Before the bridge was built in 1839 Teillois were doing crossing the Rhone through a cable ferry.