La Romieu is a small town located north of the Gers, in Gascony.
"Romieu" comes from the Gascon Roumieu word meaning "Pilgrim of Rome". For it is in 1082, returning from a pilgrimage to Rome, that two German monks decided to stop and create a sauveté in these places. In the 14th century, the village grew in importance when Arnaud d'Aux Lescout (chamberlain and chamberlain of Pope Clement V) built in his village a beautiful college. In the 14th century, La Romieu became a country house and its arcaded square is decorated with many cats today stone, placed on the windows of homes, are living legend of Angeline and her cats.
Located on the road to St Jacques de Compostela (GR 65 from Le Puy en Velay), La Romieu is on the historic stretch Lectoure-La Romieu-Condom and receives every year a large number of pilgrims to St. Jacques de Compostela.