La Garenne-Colombes is a town in the Hauts-de-Seine in the Île-de-France region, 10 km north-west of central Paris.
At the heart of a loop of the Seine, the town was officially created in 1910, until then attached to the city of Colombes.
The site of La Garenne, wooded area and game, depends long of the abbey of Saint-Denis, and from 1684, several owners succeed one another. Having become national property in 1790, La Garenne was the object of new transactions under the first empire. Among the owners were Napoleon's personal physician, Corvisart, and later the banker Sartoris. At his death, in 1833, a first village was created. A station is established in 1837. Then begins a real urbanization (avenues, squares...). The population grew and in 1910, the municipality became autonomous. Already there are nearly 15,000 inhabitants (compared with nearly 29,000 today).
Meanwhile, La Garenne-Colombes has seen the establishment of industrial units and then tertiary activities, while in terms of housing, bourgeois buildings of Haussmann style neighbor with residences and contemporary buildings. The northern part of the commune is within the perimeter of the public establishment of the Defense-Seine-Arche.
Despite a small area (1.7 km²), the city has an interesting heritage, first-class cultural facilities and preserved public parks and gardens (2.5 hectares in total).
To understand the main heritage sites, explanatory panels mark the streets and squares of the city.
In the course of a discovery walk, one can notice the market hall built in 1879, inspired by the realizations of Eiffel and the Baltard halls.
There is also the Saint-Urbain church, inaugurated in 1875, which replaced a provisional chapel. To respond to the growth of the population and therefore the faithful, the church has a choir and transept enlarged and embellished in 1934, and stained glass by the modern artist Eric Bonte in 1987.
More astonishing, the Column implanted at the site of the former rendezvous of the hunters when La Garenne was still game. Some think that it has served as a signpost, others that it was inaugurated in the second half of the nineteenth century to symbolize the beginning of the urbanization of the site. Decorated with lanterns, it was restored in 1961.
We then make a leap in time with the Mastaba, house-museum of the artist Jean-Pierre Raynaud built in 1987, designed by the architect Jean Dedieu, which evokes the funerary monuments of ancient Egypt. The city acquired this audacious building in 2006 to make it a place dedicated to culture (exhibitions of contemporary art, workshops, conferences). Open from 2pm to 6pm. Free admission on weekends and public holidays. Group visit during the week: 4 euros. For further information, please call +33 1 72 42 45 74.
We will not forget finally a town house rue de l'Aigle built in 1899 surrounded by a park, acquired by the city in 1949 and which is now the annex of the Médiathèque.
The new media library itself dates from 2011, designed by the architecture studio Richard and Schoeller. It includes an auditorium and an exhibition hall. The façade is resolutely contemporary and bold, entirely covered with silk-screened glass scales. Information on +33 1 72 42 45 68.
For any guided tours or additional information, please call +33 1 47 25 09 90 or +33 1 46 96 92 92.
For walks in or from the city, please call +33 1 46 96 92 92. These can cross the 10 parks and squares of the town which is proud to count more than 3,200 trees! In the park of the Town Hall, one will notice in passing an authentic Wallace fountain.
For the sportsmen, the swimming pool of the Claude-Chedal-Anglay complex is available. Entry 7,50 and 8,50 euros. For further information, please call +33 1 72 42 45 70.
You can also enjoy the skate park at the Marcel-Payen complex. Information on +33 1 42 42 00 13.
In the middle of June, over three days, La Garenne feasts shows, concerts and sporting events in a fun and friendly atmosphere. A flea market and a garage sale are also organized.
From September to June, the Jazz in La Garenne festival offers concerts (one to two per month) in all styles of jazz (renowned or emerging artists).
The Forum of associations, on the first Sunday in September, brings together in a friendly atmosphere all the clubs and associations of the municipality.
One can also be seduced by the gathering of vintage cars and motorcycles prior to 1987 which takes place every 3rd Sunday of the month, place Liberté. Exhibitions, demonstrations...
Finally, for a discovery of the flavors of the Île-de-France, the Center's market takes place on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 am to 1 pm, the Vallées market on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 8 am to 1 pm and the Champs- Philippe on Thursday from 3pm to 8pm.