The art center of the old Synagogue and Museum André Planson:
The ground floor of the ancient synagogue hosts temporary exhibitions of contemporary artists living in the region, inspired by it, or painters part of the local heritage-rich area.
1st floor of the art center, museum Planson André André Planson (1898-1981) was born in La Ferte-sous-Jouarre, it has been associated with the School of Paris painters of the "poetic reality" . The landscapes of the valley inspired him many colorful paintings and dynamic. Mac Orlan wrote: "André Planson knows the language of water and the woods, and for this reason the Marne made offerings before him and revels in front of his paintings." The development of his talent is revealed in a series of watercolors that the artist took the transparency of the light and grace of the rhythm of the corner of Ile-de-France.
The museum was designed with a certain chronology: the tables were painted between 1930 and 1980. At the back of the room, you can see a scene representing his studio one discovers a cabinet in which painter came to his store tubes of paint, brushes his charcoals, pastels ...
Focus on the history of the building: Inspired by a Romanesque-Byzantine synagogue of La Ferte-sous-Jouarre was built in 1890 on plans by architect Edmond Fauvet and carried out by the contractor Eugene Picard. Nathan Levy was the first Rabbi, he will lead the religious ceremony of the inauguration of the building September 21, 1891 in the presence of Chief Rabbi of France, Zadoc Kahn and Mr. Mayor of La Ferte-sous-Jouarre, Paul Lallier. After a slow migration of Jews in eastern France after the annexation of Alsace and part of Lorraine, the Jewish community of La Ferte-sous-Jouarre increased significantly in the 1860s. A place of worship is found in a building in the rue Saint Nicolas. Nathan Levy, a young Rabbi of 25 years, was appointed permanently in 1871 until his death in 1911. The official birth of the community is recognized in 1867. The Jewish population is then composed of cattle merchants, showmen, butchers, traders fabrics, shoes, apparel and clothing, and six pensioners. It will then evolve to the professions, doctors and lawyers. The sculptor Samuel Adam-Salomon (1818-1881) was also born in La Ferte-sous-Jouarre. The house in the Rue Saint-Nicolas became too small grants are initiated to build the new synagogue will be operational in 1891. The community has at this time about 30 families residing in the township of La Ferte, or some 150 Jews, all of Ashkenazi culture. The years 1880-1900 marked the apogee of this community, which explains the construction of the synagogue. Then decreases due to the attraction of Paris and cities such as Meaux and Château-Thierry. In 1940, on the eve of the tragedy of the Holocaust, the Jewish population of the district is less than a hundred people. The raid on October 22, 1943 led to the arrest of La Ferte 14 elderly, 10 were deported and gassed in Auschwitz. The other 4 are prisoners at Drancy camp until the liberation in August 1944. After the Evian agreements in July 1962, some families of Sephardic Jews from North Africa settled in La Ferte-sous-Jouarre. Quickly, they become more numerous than the Ashkenazi, but they do not attend the synagogue of the city, preferring the offices of the Sephardic community of Meaux. Finally, there is more to La Ferte, the organized Jewish community, the synagogue serves its religious until the 1940 exodus. After the war it was reopened only on very rare occasions, maintenance become urgent. The decision was taken in 1973 to sell the building to the city. The municipality then plans to open a library in the immediate and longer term to create a museum dedicated to the painting and particularly in the work of André Planson painter Fertois. Since 2011, it houses temporary exhibitions of contemporary art on the ground floor and the museum André Planson the first floor.
Open to the public on Saturdays from 15h to 18h, Sundays and public holidays from 10h to 13h and from 15h to 18h. For groups, tours throughout the year by reservation at the Tourist Office on +33 1 60 01 87 99.
Admission is free.