In the heart of Regional Park Livradois Drill, La Chaise-Dieu offers a unique setting and unspoilt forests, deep valleys and rivers very pure, rich architectural heritage, cultural and musical prestigious and peaking at an average altitude of 1000 m.
The community of communes of La Chaise-Dieu tray includes 11 towns and an area of 17,491 hectares, including 4,200 hectares of agricultural land (24%) and 11 500 hectares of softwood (66%). The population of the township is close to 2 200 inhabitants.
When in 1043, Robert Turlande leaving the canons of Brioude looking for a more ascetic life is on the granite plateau he moved to 1082 m altitude, between Auvergne and Velay. La Casa Dei (house of God) was born...
Soon joined by hundreds of followers, in 1050 Robert founded a Benedictine monastery with many dependencies, beaming to Europe.
Three centuries later, a former monk La Chaise-Dieu becomes Pope under the name of Clement VI. Very attached to his original abbey, he wanted to be buried in an abbey church worthy of his time.
The construction of the present Gothic church began in 1344, under the orders of the supervisor of the Palais des Papes in Avignon. The façade, towers and tower Clementine were completed in 1376 in a style combining religious art and architecture defensive.
From that glorious past of this city rich then 4000 inhabitants, we have a remarkable heritage, reclaimed over time and setting of the prestigious La Chaise-Dieu Music Festival, founded in 1966 by the Hungarian pianist Georges Cziffra.
Do not forget to admire the Dance Macabre, amazing fresco of the fifteenth, the beautifully carved choir stalls which surround the tomb of Clement VI in the choir of the abbey.
- Flea market: Whit Monday.
- Painting exhibition in summer.
- Summer festival: 4th July weekend.
- Day of the Organ: the weekend before August 15 (lectures and recitals).
- Potters Biennial (even years) and biennial Wood turners (odd year) the weekend after August 15.
- Festival of Baroque and Classical music: the last half of August.
- Frequently Asked dried mushrooms: the last Thursday of October.
Choral Singing Session
- From 27 to 31 may 2019
- Place de l'écho, Prieuré Sainte Marie
- Choral session from 27 to 31 May 2019 with final restitution at the abbey church on Friday 31 May at 5 pm
Rally of Folk Groups
- On 2 june 2019
- Cours Lafayette
- Rally of folk groups
The Rendez-Vous Festival in June: "Brass Quintet"
- From 3 to 9 june 2019
- Place de l'Abbaye
- The Rendez-vous in season of the La Chaise-Dieu Music Festival are one-week workshops or masterclasses with final restitution at the end of the week
Flea market and garage sale of La Chaise-Dieu
- On 10 june 2019
- Centre bourg
- Fair at the Flea Market and antiques with professional exhibitors and large garage sales every Monday of Pentecost in the town center of La Chaise-Dieu from 7am to 18pm
Inauguration of CLAACH Premises
- On 15 june 2019
- Rue des Casernes
- Discover all day long, workshops claach (local collective of Artisans and Artists CHaise-god) located Rue des Casernes with demonstrations and initiations of the various bodies of Craftsmanship.
- On 29 june 2019
- Cours Lafayette
- La Chaise Musicale is a local association that offers year-round piano and guitar lessons for children and adults in the renovated premises of the old abbey at La Chaise-Dieu.
The Night of the Churches in La Chaise-Dieu
- On 7 july 2019
- Abbatiale Saint Robert
- The Night of the Churches is a cultural and cultural event inscribed in the summer landscape of the dioceses since 2011, enjoying a recognition at the national level and which participate every year several hundred churches.
Stained Glass and Costumes Exhibition
- From 14 to 27 july 2019
- Le claach, rue des casernes
- Exhibition of the collective Workshop of stained glass and costumes in the casadean halls of La Chaise-Dieu, free entrance
Exhibition Postcards and Old Photos
- From 28 july to 10 august 2019
- Avenue de la Gare, Salles casadéennes
- The association Mémoire collects every year photographs, documents and old postcards to revive the collective memory
Art and Craft Market
- On 8 august 2019
- Avenue de la gare
- Large craft market and Art in the streets of the village organized by Naturally 'A.