City of Cotes d'Armor in Brittany, Guingamp takes place about thirty kilometers from Saint-Brieuc, in the Tregor. It is located a hundred kilometers from Brest, near Trégonneau, Saint-Agathon and Pommerit-le-Vicomte.
Populated for many centuries, the territory of Guingamp began to really develop during the Middle Ages, when several castles were built as shown by the various archaeological campaigns locally. After participating in the Revolt of the Red Caps in 1675, the town shows a century later during the events of the French Revolution. Over the years it gradually takes the face that he knows today, illustrating particularly in the sport throughout his football team, Forward Guingamp.
Full of charm, the Breton city also has a rich architectural and historical heritage to admire the time to stay in the area.
Classified historic monument, the Basilica of Our Lady of Good Help takes place in the heart of the historic center. Simple chapel in the eleventh century, it develops in the twelfth, before having to undergo major reconstruction campaign in the thirteenth century following the collapse of part of its walls. It took the papal bull of Pope Leo XIII in 1899 for it to be erected in minor basilica. By taking the time to discover this exceptional monument, you will particularly admire the Pointed tower fifty-seven meters high, Renaissance tower built in the sixteenth century, the clock tower in the oldest part of the building, the portal Notre Dame topped with a four-lobed rosette headband, the Sainte-Jeanne gate, the door to the Duke once reserved for the noble castle, chapel baptismal fonts redeveloped in the mid nineteenth century, the St. Charles chapel Blois thirteenth century or the Virgin's chapel, the Dead, Saint-Jacques, the Treasury and the Blessed Sacrament. Hard to resist also inside the building that has a very nice mix of flamboyant, Gothic and Renaissance.
Founded in the first half of the twelfth century, the abbey Holy Cross is now listed historical monument. Created for the Canons Regular of St. Augustine, it was partly demolished in the nineteenth century. original buildings, you can still see the ruins of the abbey, the abbey house of the sixteenth century and the arch of the pedestrian entrance of the portal of the abbey dating from the eighteenth century.
Former castle of the fifteenth century, Peter II Castle is also listed historic monument. It was once part of the city defense system and benefits from restoration campaigns. It is also possible to admire the remains of several of the fifteenth century ramparts in the city.
Strolling through the city, be sure not to admire the town hall in a former monastery listed as historical building, the convent of the seventeenth century Ursuline listed historic monument or the beautiful chapel of St. Leonard the twelfth century that has seen many changes in the nineteenth.
Built in the fifteenth century, the rooms castle is the subject of a registration as an historic monument, as several houses sixteenth and seventeenth centuries installed in the center.
4 rue Auguste Pavie, do not miss the old style Pennsylvanian prison today eighteenth century listed building. She is currently receiving rehabilitation work to accommodate different cultural events.
Listed building, the fountain is a must Plomée Guingamp. Built in the fifteenth century and renovated in the mid eighteenth, it serves as a gathering place for all the great events of the Breton town.