Flavignac is a commune of Haute-Vienne, in the region of New-Aquitaine, 20 km south-west of Limoges.
The territory of the locality consists essentially of a plateau which is leaned south to the foothills of the Chalus mountains, which constitute the western end of the Massif Central.
Crossed by the courses of Arthonnet and Brouillet, the town which includes a village and many hamlets, some of which were once autonomous parishes, was in the Middle Ages and under the Ancien Régime a prosperous lordship. In the eighteenth century, Cardinal Loménie de Brienne, from the family that dominates Flavignac and his region, is Louis XVI's finance minister. Little wooded in the nineteenth century, the local is moving towards cattle breeding and becomes one of the cradles of the Limousin race.
Located on the road to Saint-Jacques, along the way from Vézelay, Flavignac has preserved a historical heritage of interest and offers visitors a green nature. A leisure base around a lake, near the village, is an additional asset in the summer. What justify a stage in this town of about 1060 inhabitants that belongs to the Regional Natural Park Périgord-Limousin.
The Church of the Assumption of the Most Holy Virgin is the jewel of the religious heritage of the town which has many buildings listed in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments. The building dates from the 15th century when a primitive church dedicated then to Saint-Martial was remodeled and enlarged (a chapel to the south, a transept instead of the choir and an enlarged nave with a new bay were added). In the sixteenth century, is erected a singular hexagonal tower-tower. Yet, despite its south facade with a portal of beautiful craftsmanship, the wealth of the church rests in its furniture (altarpieces and statues from the fifteenth to the eighteenth century) and especially its "treasure" reliquaries discovered in 1949 dating for some of the thirteenth century. A shrine (decorated chest) also houses the skull of a Roman martyr. Over the years, other sacred objects from neighboring parishes have completed this ensemble, such as a shrine of the martyrdom of St. Valerie, an Italian monstrance of 1800 and the furniture of the small rural church of Texon, from which also comes a statue of St. Peter of the fifteenth century. The church and its treasure are accessible every day from 10h to 17h.
Still in terms of heritage, to see then, in the charming hamlet of Texon, the church of Saint-Pierre-ès-Liens (15th century), in front of which was installed a granite altar dedicated to a pagan worship during Antiquity and which served then funerary monument, and in a different register, the Graules bridge, of medieval origin. It is a set of granite slabs placed on piles to cross the Arthonnet.
On the civil side, the castle of Faye is worth a look. This beautiful 18th century building in classical style was built on the foundations of a medieval manor adjoining an old priory and consists of a large house with two low wings. The ground floor has retained Louis XVI decorations. We can still see the traces of the old French gardens. A time transformed into a summer camp, the castle is being restored.
We will not forget finally the cylindrical dovecote of the Ribière, which dates from the end of the Middle Ages. Covered with lauzes, the roof rests on the vault, and does not have a frame.
In the town itself, the end of this discovery trail may include the garden of the presbytery, where a collection of perennials has been collected.
Finally, the pond or the lake of Saint-Fortunat, vast of six hectares, was arranged close to the center. A beach allows to reconcile idleness and supervised bathing in summer. Playgrounds, a petanque court, a tennis court and picnic tables equip the site, and a campsite is also waiting for visitors or holidaymakers. Fishing is allowed from the end of March to mid-October. Information on the activities of this leisure center on +33 5 55 39 11 14.
The lake and its base are also the starting point of several hiking and mountain biking trails. Routes connect the hamlets, the points of interest of the inheritance, the natural sites of the commune and its surroundings. It is also possible to take a few kilometers on the road to Saint-Jacques. Documentation and information on +33 5 55 58 28 44 or +33 9 60 07 30 07.
For hikes, workshops and events highlighting the heritage and the environment, it is finally relevant to contact the house of the Regional Natural Park Périgord-Limousin at +33 5 53 55 36 00.