Origin of name: the Scandinavian anthroponym Smidr and Latin house, "fields".
The discovery of stone axes in the territory of the commune, mentioned by Arcisse de Caumont in his "Monumental Statistics Calvados", attests to the antiquity of the occupation. In the Middle Ages the parish belongs to the lord of Fonnovilla Robertus. In 1227, it transfers its domain for the benefit of the abbey of Saint Evroult, and this sponsorship is finally recognized in 1285, following a trial. At the end of the 20th century, the town situated at the beginning of the Pays d'Auge, home to more than two farms.