The fortress of Largoët, also called the Towers of Elven, is located at Elven, in Morbihan, about a dozen kilometers north-east of Vannes.
The current buildings were preceded by a castle built in the early 11th century, owned by the local lord. But in the thirteenth century, it passes to the hands of the Malestroit family who remade all during the wars of succession of Britain.
At the end of the 15th, dismantled by Charles VIII, the castle is restored by Anne of Brittany. It is then to maintain access to the sea for the dukes of Brittany while the rest of the region is controlled by the lords of Rohan and Rieux.
Subsequently, the fortress is bought by Nicolas Fouquet who intends to earn income from the 45,000 hectares that depend on it, then it passes to other owners.
Decadent in the nineteenth, the fortress is listed since 1862 but it is actually restored only from the 1970s. In the 1980s, sound and light shows are organized, the whole area with its surrounding forests and lakes constituting a decoration of choice.
From now on, the remains are made up of an imposing octagonal dungeon of the fourteenth century, 45 meters high, one of the highest in the country. Composed of six levels, it also served as a residence.
A round tower of the fifteenth equipped with gunboats converted into a hunting lodge, a gatehouse serving as entrance, walls complete the complex.
An example of medieval military architecture in a forest environment, the fortress is open from mid-March to the end of Toussaint holidays for free or guided tours. Price: 4 and 5.50 euros. Information on +33 2 97 53 35 96.