Ducos is a coastal town on the west coast of Martinique, about ten kilometers south of the administrative and economic capital of the island, Fort-de-France. The commune was created in 1837 and was first known as "Trou-du-Chat" and then became Ducos in 1854 (named after the Minister of Marine and Colonies of Napoleon III).
During the last quarter of the twentieth century, industrial and commercial zones linked to the proximity of Fort-de-France and the airport boosted its population, and the population grew from 7,000 in 1970 to more than 17,000 today.
Despite urbanization, Ducos has retained a historical heritage of interest and a specific natural environment, its coastal front sheltering a mangrove (underwater forest) to the protected ecosystem. Inland, to the east of its vast territory (37 km²), the municipality also has the only hydraulic dam on the island. With an old village preserved, so many assets that make the city a stage of interest.
The Church of Our Lady of the Nativity is one of the jewels of the built heritage of the city. Built in 1877, destroyed in 1891 by a cyclone, the building was rebuilt in 1901 on plans by Pierre-Henri Picq, to whom we also owe the cathedral of Fort-de-France. We can see the polychrome wooden ceiling sculpted by Adelaide Faucigny, the pavement, the colored stones of various colors and the stained glass windows that evoke the history of Catholicism. Adjoining the church is the tomb of Joséphine des Vergers de Sannois, a relative of the Empress Josephine and wife of the first mayor of the city.
In the Croix-Rivail district, Château Aubéry is well worth a visit. From the name of an industrialist and politician, this monumental four-storey building with some thirty rooms was built between 1928 and 1931. The neo-classical style of the castle was to symbolize the success of its owner, of modest origin. The steps lead to a double circular staircase, marked in its mosaic with the initials of the owner: "AE 1930". The castle sheltered after the second war a normal school and was acquired by the city in 1992.
In terms of natural heritage, the mangrove is remarkable for the quality of its ecosystem. There are species of singular crabs, oysters, and the site is also a breeding ground for many animals of all shapes. As for its flora, it is composed in particular of mangroves that flourish in this salty soil and deprived of oxygen. Some trees have aerial ramifications, which adds to the typical character of this protected area.
The southern mangrove of Ducos is adjacent to the Genipa Bay Nature Reserve, another mangrove for exceptional fauna and flora.
To discover the mangrove by boat or canoe-kayak, with or without guide, contact Aventure Mangrove on +33 6 96 22 54 28.
For hiking with or without coastal areas, please call +33 5 96 61 61 77.
For information about the city's sports facilities (football pitch, bike path, mountain bike trail, fitness trail, tennis) please call +33 5 96 77 18 18.
In February, the town hosts classical music concerts as part of the Caribbean Nights festival.
During the first week of September, patronal festival with to the program sports and folkloric meetings and the weekend, concerts, balls.