Corbara is a coastal town of Upper Corsica, on the west coast of the island, bordering L'Île-Rousse on the road to Calvi.
The town was named after the Curbara peak. On the slopes, inhabitants settled in the 14th century near the castle of Mannone, a descendant of Guido de Sabellis, one of the princes who had liberated the Corsica of the Saracens in 816 and who had received the Balagne as a reward. He had chosen to settle nearby, building a first fort on the summit of a mountain called "Guido", considering the site as strategic because overlooking the sea.
Corbara is still an exceptional territory, along 7 km of coastline: the village built on the hillside and some nearby hamlets are reputed typical of a Mediterranean landscape.
With a population of nearly 1,000 inhabitants, the commune hosts a commercial zone linked to the proximity of L'Île-Rousse but has preserved for the rest its remarkable built heritage and the authenticity of its natural environment.
And while tourism has developed, Corbara has maintained a thriving agricultural and artisanal activity (production of olive oil, apiculture, breeding, pottery). It is a step of choice for who wants to visit Corsica!
A first walk in the streets of the village is already a change of scenery, with its districts staged in amphitheatres, small cobbled streets, covered passages...
One can then visit the main religious buildings which form a first class heritage complex.
In the center of the village, the collegiate church of the Annunciation was built between 1641 and 1751 in a Baroque style. Remodeled in the 19th century (monumental paintings), restored in the 20th century, it is also classified as an important collection of liturgical objects and furniture that justified the design and opening of a Treasury Museum in 2003 Of the seventeenth century forming the sacristy. There are priestly ornaments dating from the 16th to the 20th century, 17th and 18th century goldsmiths' work and even a bull of Pope Benedict XIV of 1752. Open from early May to the end of September. Guided tours. Information on +33 4 95 46 15 53 or +33 4 95 63 06 50.
Also worth seeing is the chapel of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows, built in 1700 in the hamlet of Borgu (on the site of the old fort built by Count Mannone) and especially the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Lady of Lazio), built in the 18th century. The monumental paintings, the interior, and the classified works which it shelters will be interested: a marble sculpture painted from the Virgin and Child (15th) and a bas-relief from the XIXth.
The town has many other chapels or oratories, not to mention the Convent of St. Dominic, built in the 15th century on the slopes of Mount Sant'Angelo. First occupied by Franciscan monks, it welcomed Dominicans from 1861. Since the 1990s, they are the religious of the community of the Brothers of Saint John. Restored in the 19th century, a popular retreat, the entire site is classified. The convent is considered the most important of Corsica.
In terms of small civilian heritage, one will also be interested in the picturesque fountains that attest to the presence of numerous sources. Some date back to the 15th century.
Corbara owns by a second private museum, created in the 1990s by a passionate individual, in his house of the heights of the village. There is a collection of manuscripts, maps, posters or ancient books, all of them focused on the history of Corsica, paintings from the 16th to the 18th century and an astonishing array of Corsican knives, pistols or coins. Free admission and guided tour from 3pm to 6pm. Information on +33 4 95 60 06 65.
For lovers of hiking, many trails have been designed to better understand the heritage and the natural environment (mountains, shores, olive groves). Caution, some circuits may present difficulties (steep relief). Brochures and information at +33 4 95 63 06 52.
Several beaches, finally, will delight the lovers of relaxation and swimming. The beaches of Bodri and Ghjunchitu (white sand and turquoise water) are the most popular, protected by dunes and accessible only to pedestrians. The coastline of the town is also famous for its surf spots.
On the first Sunday in February, a traditional Genoese meal is organized on the village square, with musical entertainment.
At the end of May, the night of the museums is the opportunity to visit the two establishments of the municipality in different ways, and related animations (projection of films) are proposed.
At the beginning of August, villagers and summer visitors have the appointment for the patron saint festival of Saint-Dominique at the Convent.