Cléguérec is a commune in the Morbihan department in central Brittany, on the borders of Côtes-d'Armor, 11 km northwest of Pontivy.
Bordered on the east by the Blavet, the locality is formed of a village and numerous hamlets, and traces of human presence dating from Neolithic (- 3000) and then of Roman habitat were discovered on its territory.
Depending on the ancient regime of the counts of Rohan, Cléguérec developed thanks to a strong agricultural and commercial activity and now counts a little more than 3 000 inhabitants.
The city remains one of the strongholds of cider and perry production, and its economy is still based on agribusiness and crafts.
Cléguérec passed to posterity in 1869 after the fall of a meteorite of more than 40 kg causing a crater of nearly 2 meters in diameter. Fragments have been scattered throughout Europe, including the British Museum. There are only a few tens of grams left in the city.
Launched as a green station, and benefiting from the proximity of the lake of Guerlédan, Cléguérec offers the visitor a preserved environment (forests, ponds, bocage) and a rich architectural heritage.
If the church of Saint-Guérec, in the town, dates from the nineteenth century, the discovery of the heritage of Cléguérec passes mainly through the visit of the ten chapels that mark the territory at the will of the hamlets. Two of them have been included in the supplementary inventory of historic monuments. This is the case of the Chapel of the Trinity, erected in the 15th and 16th centuries, which features granite sculptures (monkey, a woman devoured by a monster...). Inside, there will be a stone bench forming the southern basement and at the level of the framework, amusing representations (characters playing music, in particular). Also worth seeing is the chapel of Saint-André (15th, 17th centuries), whose two arms of the transept are more developed than the nave. Its windows have mullions with fleur-de-lys. One of them preserves the fragments of a 16th century stained glass window.
In Porhors, the seventeenth-century chapel that houses the sarcophagus of Saint Molvan (a monk from Great Britain in the 5th century) is legendary: an opening in the lid made it possible to introduce young children who Were slow to walk.
In another area, the astounding alley covered by Bot-er-Mohed is a gallery of dolmens which has also been classified.
It is impossible not to stop, in the center of the town, on one of the 16 versions known in France of the Statue of Liberty of Bartholdi. It was cast in 1875 to finance the donation of his "big sister" in the United States. It was inaugurated in 1882 and celebrates the memory of Joseph Pobéguin, born in the commune. He was a member of the Flatters mission, responsible for opening new routes through the Sahara (including the railway linking Algeria to Senegal). There he found a tragic death at the age of 28 years after hard fighting with the Tuareg.
These elements of the patrimony as well as numerous calvaries or natural sites are included in circuits of hiking or VTT. Information on +33 2 97 25 04 10. Are also pleasant to walk along the banks of the Canal du Blavet.
For the sports enthusiasts, an outdoor tennis court is available. A 12-hole mini-golf course is available free of charge for holidaymakers. Information and reservation of equipment (clubs and balls) on +33 2 97 38 00 15.
Finally, on the same commune, the pond of Pontoir has been laid out and equipped with picnic tables, a sports course or even an archery field. It is also a starting point for several hiking trails. You can also fish there. Information on +33 2 97 38 00 15.
To discover the gourmet richness of the local terroir, nothing better than the Saturday morning market, Pobéguin place.
At the beginning of May, over four days, the festival of Kleg combines traditional music concerts and shows of groups or artists of funk, jazz or electro. Numerous convivial animations in parallel.
The last weekend of July, feast of Sainte-Anne in the hamlet of Boduic (traditional pardon, animations).