Dominating the Bressane plain, in the heart of the Jura department, the castle of Chevreaux takes place on the eponymous town, at an altitude of 473 meters. Built before the twelfth century, according to historical chronicles, it was at the time the seat of the lordship owned by the house of Coligny.
Plundered and sacked during the Ten Years' War in 1637, the castle of Chevreaux saw its keep destroyed and its fortifications demolished. Since the early 1990s, the site has undergone various renovations. Today open to the public, it still has a barnyard, a square tower, stables, a hexagonal tower, the tower of the prison, the tower of Joux, lodgings, and a postern. The exterior is open all year round, but the inside can only be discovered during guided tours or activities.
Very dynamic, the site of the castle Chevreaux offers indeed various activities such as introductory courses to renovation, a barter of plants in April, film evenings, or reenactments during the Heritage Days.