Châteauneuf-Val-de-Bargis is a commune of the Nièvre, in the Burgundy-Franche-Comte region, 45 km north of Nevers.
The territory of the locality, vast of 47 km², is located exactly twenty kilometers east of the course of the Loire, in the valley of Sillandre, which flows towards the west, the rest of the commune being dominated by green hills.
Former castellany dependent on the Counts of Nevers and divided into several fiefs, Châteauneuf-Val-de-Bargis has always lived mainly agriculture and forestry, with up to 2000 inhabitants in the nineteenth century. It remains only about 550, spread over the village and the many hamlets of the town.
Crossed by one of the pilgrimage routes of Saint Jacques de Compostela, possessing a historical heritage of interest in the heart of a preserved landscape, Châteauneuf-Val-de-Bargis is a step appreciated by lovers of green tourism.
A stage in Châteauneuf-Val-de-Bargis can begin with the discovery of its heritage. In the village, we will focus on the church of St. Stephen, partially rebuilt in 1824 on the basis of an older building burned in 1569 by Protestant troops during the wars of Religion. We notice inside two superimposed stands, which is quite original in the region.
In the village still, the presbytery built in 1822, a rare example of water pump dating from 1848 or the pretty main street (so-called high street) and pavers laid in 1821 are also worth a look.
Away from the village, in the forest of Bellary, the old charterhouse of the Annunciation was founded in the early thirteenth century. Remodeled over time, this isolated monastery has several architectural elements inscribed, such as its two chapels, the large refectory or portal of the entrance pavilion. Now private property, you can only observe the site from outside, from a forest road, during a walk.
To see finally, the remains of the feudal mound on the hamlet of the Castle of the Tower (eleventh century).
In this region with its rich hydrography, in terms of "small heritage", many laundries line the waterways. A dozen of them are still visible on the municipal territory, according to the hamlets. A circuit connects these bill washers and for some very old. To discover in the summer season during a tour commented by the volunteers of a local rescue association or via a fun digital application (geo-coaching) developed by the same association. Contact the +33 3 86 69 24 21.
In addition to this specific circuit, many hiking or mountain biking can be envisaged on the town, borrowing the forest sectors, the path of Saint-Jacques from Vézelay or along the west small roads leading to the banks of the Loire. Documentation and information on +33 3 86 36 39 80.
For fishing enthusiasts, rivers or ponds are numerous. Find out about the developed sites and the regulations on +33 (0) 3 86 61 18 98.
As far as sport and leisure are concerned, it is possible for visitors to reserve a tennis court on +33 6 21 01 01 18 or enjoy the municipal petanque court.
The last Sunday of April, local market.
The first weekend of August, patronal feast with flea market on Saturday and musical entertainment and fun.