South of Burgundy, Charolles, city of Charles the Bold Duke of Burgundy, is the former capital of the County of Charolais. The city is surrounded by two rivers: the Arconce and the Semence, which allows very pleasant walks and gives the city a medieval air.
Many vestiges of the 15th and 16th centuries remain: Tour of Charles the Bold, Diamond Tower, Bailiwick Hall, Convent of the Poor Clares, Priory of the Madeleine. Charolles is also known for the artisanal manufacture of the faience that bears his name. The pottery of Charolles was created in 1844 by Hippolyte Prost, it has never stopped producing since.
Charolles, sub-prefecture of about 3000 inhabitants, is a flower town (3 flowers), step village and a green holiday resort. It is also the cradle of cattle and sheep breeds. Charolais beef is undoubtedly one of the jewels of French gastronomy.
Recently, Charolles has become a passionate center of interest for music lovers in France and beyond because of the installation in his church of a beautiful large organ. This exceptional adventure can be followed on the website of the Friends of the Organ Charolles where are announced the many high level concerts and other events organized around the instrument.