The castle of Landal is located in the municipality of Broualan, in Ille-et-Vilaine, 25 km southwest of Mont-Saint-Michel.
It was built from the twelfth century on a spur dominating wetlands and reworked considerably over the centuries.
Its owners were until the nineteenth century lords from large families of the Breton nobility, including the Rohan.
The castle is now in the heart of a field of a hundred hectares and accessed via a wide bridle path.
It is today composed of a main building (on the bases of a dungeon of the seventeenth) surrounded by four round towers, all overlooking a courtyard itself surrounded by curtain walls and towers, the oldest, the Tour de France, is from the fourteenth century.
Surrounded by moats, the ensemble also includes a chapel, a dovecote and 17th century buildings.
Partly burned in 1758 during an incursion of English troops having landed in Cancale, Landal Castle still sees many owners succeed in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries who carry out restoration and maintenance work.
Protected as historical monuments, the domain now belongs to a religious foundation but its state would require a new campaign of restoration and security. The site is closed to the public. The imposing silhouette of the castle can, however, mark a pleasant hike in this green area close to the coast.
Information on +33 2 99 48 15 37.