Situated in the Deux-Sevres region in New Aquitaine, the common Bressuire takes place in the heart of Bressuirais grove. It is located about thirty kilometers from Parthenay, and forty Cholet, an hour drive from Nantes, Poitiers or Angers.
Important crossroads road from the Celtic era, the city of Bressuire enjoyed great prosperity in the Middle Ages before suffering the wrath of the religious wars, undermining the castle of the town. But the golden age of this city of Deux-Sèvres comes from the seventeenth century with the development of the cloth industry. It was not until the arrival of the railways in the nineteenth century to definitively establish the supremacy of Bressuire in the region.
Rich in its glorious history, the town has preserved over centuries of an important architectural heritage which still stands proudly today. However, with repeated destruction of the center, the preserved buildings generally not go back beyond the seventeenth century.
With the wars of Vendee or religion, the old center of Bressuire suffered much destruction. One can nevertheless always admire beautiful historical vestiges in the municipality.
The castle of Bressuire, built in the 11th century, is a castle with moats and walls. Recently renovated, it has a Neo-Gothic style, the ruins of the walls, part of the keep and some vestiges of the ramparts.
The old church of Saint-Cyprien was inscribed in the Historical Monuments in 1937. Built in the 10th century, it serves, with its crypt, cultural space to the city. The present church, Notre-Dame church, also dates from the tenth century. Renovated after the storm of 1999, it still features a 56-meter-high Gothic bell tower that dominates the city. Classified to the Historic Monuments, it presents beautiful murals unveiled during the recent restoration work. Also listed, the church of Saint-Sauveur-de-Givre-en-Mai was built in the 12th century.
Several other sites classified or inscribed in the Historical Monuments mark the old center of Bressuire, like the old castle of Noirlieu built between the end of the XVIth and the beginning of the XVIIth century, or the domain of Dubrie built in the XVIth Century and modified in the 18th century. Inscribed with the Historic Monuments, the house of the Puy-Blain dates from the fifteenth century. It is a rectangular architectural complex surrounded by a courtyard bordered by walls. It was used for several years of farming before being renovated. Built in the 16th century, the chapel of Petit-Puy is now disused. Inscribed in the Historic Monuments, it still presents its facades.
Inside Bressuire, ancient homes testify to the richness of the city over the centuries. We discover several buildings dating from the 15th century, such as the church of Saint-Porchaire, the hotel Durant de la Pastellière which now serves as a media library, the cloister Notre-Dame, the hotel de la Taconnière, Of Saint-Nicolas. You can also admire the remains of the chapel of Saint-Jacques of the twelfth century, as well as the mill of Cornet of the XVIIth century.
A municipal museum, housed in the old granaries of the city, traces the history of the town and its surroundings through several collections.
Rich in natural heritage, Bressuire also offers a green castle arranged as footpaths and bicycle rides. It extends on the banks of the Dolo, for three kilometers.
Every Tuesday and Saturday morning, the city offers its market flavors with thirty producers and traders in the region. A lively Christmas market is also proposed in December.
The book festival and sports documentary takes place in May with various events on tour sport.
In July and August, on Fridays in the summer of Bressuire are the scene of several original shows.
In September, the city offers the Beautiful festival, unlike a movie event centered on disability with screenings and meetings.
Every first Sunday of October, the Bressuire medieval castle hosts the festival of plants and barnyard animals. The program, a plant market, games for children, or an empty garden shed.
The Grove Theatre, theater company: the Bocage Theatre oversees amateur practice workshops, and offers professional shows throughout the year.
Exhibition Photos of César Fuseau
- From 3 july to 19 september 2021
- Château de Bressuire
- This Bressuirais photographer presents his first solo exhibition. It offers us a new look at the city with this carte blanche. - Tuesday to Sunday from 14: 30 to 18: 30 - In September: weekends from 14: 30 to 18: 30
Laser Game Outdoor
- From 3 july to 21 august 2021
- Laser Game outdoors at the Château de Bressuire all summer from Wednesday to Sunday included. On reservation. - On-site catering
"Going in Book" in Bocage Bressuirais
- From 4 july to 25 august 2021
- Bocage Bressuirais
- "Leaving in Book" will animate the French territory. "Leaving in book" is the great youth book festival organized by the National Book Center (CNL) where all family members are invited. Readings aloud, philo workshop, shows, traveling libraries, musical nap, video game tournament...: the Libraries of Agglo2b have concocted a delicious menu where each guest will find his happiness, whether it is rather sweet or salty.
Treasure Hunt 2021
- From 7 july to 25 august 2021
- Château XIX ème
- Treasure hunt on the castle site open to all audiences. Provide comfortable shoes. - Every Wednesday from July 7 to August 25, except July 14.
Guided Tours of the Castle of Bressuire
- From 7 july to 25 august 2021
- 6 place de l'hôtel de ville, Rendez-vous : Office de Tourisme
- Guided tours of the Castle every Wednesday from 7 July to 25 August except Wednesday 14 July. - Built on a rocky promontory, the Château de Bressuire is an imposing fortress built by the lords of Beaumont in the eleventh century. Discover its very elaborate defensive system, its two still existing enclosures and relive the glory days of the seigneurial home, thanks to visual supports. - A good pair of shoes is recommended for this visit. - Appointment: Tourist Office. Without reservation
Summer Tours 2021 - Discovering the City's Trees
- From 27 to 29 july 2021
- Château de Bressuire (Parking)
- A walk animated by the association "Bocage Pays Branché" on the trees of the city with in the final a "tale-show-light" in the garden of the Cloisters. Tasting of local products at the end of the visit. On reservation. APPOINTMENT: Castle (parking)
Summer Tours 2021-Terves and its Mills over the Centuries
- On 30 july 2021
- Parking de la voie verte - Montlaigne, terves
- 29 mills (16 water and 13 wind) have been recorded in the municipality. - Let's discover the remains of some mills, almost forgotten heritage and so important for the life of our ancestors. The walk will be animated by Fred Billy and will end with the tasting of local products and the glass of friendship. Walk of about 4 km, partially accessible to people with reduced mobility. On reservation. - Photo: the old mill of La Coussaie restored. Appointment: Parking of the greenway in Montlaigne
Street Art Bressuire - Greengo
- From 23 to 28 august 2021
- Place Carnot
- Greengo has been active in the Niortese graffiti scene for over twenty years. His inspirations come from his urban environment and the emotions he wants to convey to as many people as possible. He has forged a very colorful and funky graphic character by surveying the walls and exhibition halls of the region.
- On 26 september 2021
- Campus des Sicaudières
- Hiking of flavors organized by Bressuire Cycling Activities. Circuits for walkers, cyclos and mountain bikes.