Boyer is a village of Saône-et-Loire, in the Burgundy-Franche-Comté region, 25 km south of Chalon-sur-Saone and 37 km north of Macon.
The municipal territory runs along the right bank of the Saone and much of its area of nearly 17 km² is wooded. The town is also crossed by two small tributaries of the river.
Near Tournus, Boyer was a stage of the royal road linking Paris to Lyon (now the RN6), marked by the Mont de Mouron that work allowed to bypass the nineteenth century.
Occupied since the Neolithic, the locality is under the Old Regime shared between different fiefs and agriculture is prosperous, especially as many mills are established on rivers. Hilly, wooded, the landscape remains today conducive to hiking, which can be marked out by several sites and castles.
Boyer which has only about 700 inhabitants against double in the nineteenth century is a pleasant step for lovers of green tourism.
A discovery of the historical heritage of Boyer that owes its name to the Gauls who resisted Caesar can begin with the Church of St. Loup, rebuilt in the eighteenth century: decided before the Revolution, the work was completed in 1792. The original building dated eleventh and twelfth centuries but had become cramped and dangerous. In the eighteenth century, the architect modeled on the abbey of Tournus to design the interior (double row of pillars and vessel with three naves). The central span is based on medieval foundations. Moreover, during these works, the primitive apse was removed and the choir transformed to make the entrance to the church, and equipped with a porch bell tower. As for the new choir, it was leaning on one side of the nave. Inside, there are stained glass windows renovated in the 19th century, an altar in pink limestone, a statue of Saint Isidore, patron saint of plowmen, and chapels with white marble altars from Italy built in 1849.
In addition to standing menhirs along the Saône, several castles are still visible on Boyer. The castle of Arvolot, redesigned in 1810, the castle of Pymont, whose main building is of the seventeenth century, the castle of Venière, remodeled in the nineteenth on the foundations of a building of the fifteenth.
With other mansions, they symbolize the past richness of Boyer, but are not visited (private properties).
Also found on the village and hamlets are many fountains, wash houses and mills.
Last major site, the Notre-Dame abbey occupied by Benedictines. The monastery was built in the 18th century Virey Castle, which was sold by the owner to the White Nuns of Notre Dame in 1921. The chapel was restored in 1970. The whole house is The shop is open to sell the products made by the nuns (cards, liturgical ornaments, soaps). Information on +33 3 85 51 05 85.
On the environmental front, Boyer is rich of its edges of Saone, protected for their ecosystem (fauna and flora), its 150 hectares of forest, its cereals cultures or its pastures. You can also discover some vineyard plots.
Hikes supervised by volunteer guides are available throughout the year to discover the riches of the village, both historically and naturally. Some routes take the route of the GR76 which crosses the locality and the old road to Saint-Jacques. They are also punctuated with remarkable panoramas on the Saône valley and the neighboring Bresse. Information on +33 3 85 51 30 11 or +33 3 85 32 14 96.
For other loops and mountain bikers (the towpath of the Saone is the object of work to make it a preferred route for cyclists), brochures, maps and information on +33 3 85 21 02 20.
As far as leisure is concerned, fishermen can take advantage of the Saône, its tributaries and a few ponds. All information on the developed sites and the regulations on +33 3 85 23 83 00.
And for athletes, a city stadium to play basketball and handball, and tennis courts are available in the village. Information on +33 3 85 51 03 69.
Finally, at Boyer, which in a way marks the limit of the northern and southern halves of France, several artists and craftsmen have settled.