The town has about 6500 inhabitants Bellegarde for 4500 acres of land. Located 17 km from Nîmes and 15 km from Arles and the Camargue between Curbs, it offers a mixed identity that is reflected both in its traditions in its history, landscapes or even the products of its soil.
Since 4700 years, taking advantage of the many existing sources, man occupies the territory, later crossing paths leading to the great cities of antiquity and the Middle Ages. Traces of the occupation remain with the remains of an underground aqueduct, the Roman road "Via Domitia" and his toll bridge "Pons aerarius" that allowed the crossing of ancient swamps of the plain and contained in the current coat of arms of the city. This primarily agricultural 30 years ago, is fully adapted to the modern world, offering all its residents and visitors a variety of activities and comprehensive service that is rarely found in a common this size.
Its dynamism is also reflected through tourism, parks (city flower 2 star label), twinning (with Gersfeld cities in Germany and Spain Villamartin), traditions and many cultural events and festivals.
Bellegarde however, has not lost its links with its rich agricultural heritage, since 5 AOC are recognized on its territory (Clairette Bellegarde, Curbs Nimes, rice and Camargue bulls, olive oil Nîmes).
Described as "water city" Bellegarde has combined tradition and modernity while creating an exceptional life.
Broussan, a priory, a chapel: The Middle Ages Broussan that took off with the installation of a priory including many lands, woods, marshes and farms.
Oil mill of the 19th century already existed in 1813 and probably if we refer to the grindstone deposited outside in 1740.
The ancient aqueduct: Mentioned from the year 640, the book of 1.70 m high and 1.55 m wide takes his capture in the west of the city near the Mas Laval, close to the site Laval Castle.
Tower Bellegarde: Mentioned for the first time under the name of "Castrum Bellae-Gardae" in 1208 the rectangular keep of 14.25 m 10.98 m is typical of the Middle Ages. It is ideal for surveillance, this tower installed at 56 m height above the town and the whole plain. It was part of a much larger fortified ensemble playing a deterrent role and prestige.
A history of the churches: In 1663 began the construction of the church on the current site St John. In 1853 we realize that the church is too small. We choose to destroy to rebuild in 1860 to its current location.
Fountains: Fountains Lions, Dauphin, Petit Garons, Sirens, St-Jacques des Vignerons ... They are more than 16 to cool the city of waters.
Channels: Canal Beaucaire "Aigues-Mortes" or "Rhone-Sete" is the logical extension of the Canal du Midi. It will be officially opened in 1805. Channel "Lamour" role to irrigate crops for 50 years.
Marina: Born with the channel (1805), it is first a little break for the transfer of barrels of wine and other goods. Its activity related to that of the channel will be admitted into oblivion from 1970.
1 May : Day of amateur painters. A market and an exhibition of graphic art outdoors.
May 8: Europe Day.
The weekend of the Ascension spring festival ( bullfighting events Camargue ).
In June: Spring heritage.
July 14: Feast of July fireworks on Lake of the 14 mills in the evening fire.
The first weekend in September: forum of local associations.
The third weekend in September: European Heritage Days.
The 2nd and 3rd weekend of October: traditional festival ( bullfighting events in Camargue, marched to the old... ).
November: race walking, the stride of Clairette, organized by the Stride Bellegardaise. Shopping and entertainment for children. Walk 8 km for multi-handicapped du Gard.
The last weekend of November or first of December : Feast of the olive oil (market, exhibition, entertainment, demonstrations and open to the mill of the 19th century).