The Saint-Ruf abbey of Avignon, in the Vaucluse, was founded in the 11th century. It remains only ruins, classified in 1889, in the south of the city.
Seat of a monastic order belonging to St. Augustine, the abbey which bears the name of the first bishop of Avignon, was abandoned by the monks well before the Revolution, being already no more than a simple priory. However, it had been supported until the fourteenth century by the religious authorities and recognized as a focus of the so-called Gregorian reform.
Staking a garden, the remains of the building still visible are the bedside of the abbey church, the bell tower, the transept and part of the nave. We note in particular traces of fortification dating from the Middle Ages when it was necessary to protect the abbey which was not located in the papal city in the strict sense and pilasters and capitals decorated at the level of the nave.
Surrounded by greenery, which gives them almost an aspect evoking the English romanticism, the ruins of the Saint-Ruf abbey can constitute a goal of strolling away from the city center during a stage or a stay in Avignon. Information on +33 4 32 74 32 74.