Aullène is a town in Corse-du-Sud, 40 km north-east of Propriano by road.
The vast communal territory (nearly 41 km²) is located in the high mountains (between 629 and 1724 m altitude), north of the natural region of Alta Rocca, in the Sartène hinterland, which culminates in 2134 m to Mount Incudine.
The village itself is 850 m long, wrapped around two promontories, and its limits are set to the north by the summit of Punta d'Ariola at 1724 m and to the south by the Tana pass. The locality is bordered by the sometimes turbulent course of Chiuvone.
The history of Aullène is marked by the establishment of strongholds in the eleventh and thirteenth centuries, and especially by a pastoral tradition that made its reputation. The village hosted for a long time a cattle fair very popular.
Despite the rural exodus that has hit hard, since there were still 2000 inhabitants after the second war against less than 200 now, Aullène for its historical heritage, its cultural vitality and its exceptional environment that delight fans of hiking and wild but unspoiled sites, remains a great stop for those who visit the Island of Beauty.
The village has preserved interesting historical heritage sites, starting with the church of San Nicolau (St. Nicholas), which houses an eighteenth century pulpit carved wood resting on a console in the form of black mask probably evoking the barbarian raids of the eighteenth century, stalls of the nineteenth, baptismal fonts of the nineteenth also polished marble, and a piece of sacristy of the nineteenth, making, as the pulpit, the subject of an inscription. Note the bell tower pierced with berries of the nineteenth century.
See also the rural chapel dedicated to St. Antioch and a rare example of a Protestant temple erected in 1905, which hosted offices until the Liberation.
There are also more ancient examples of local history to be discovered, such as the remains of the 11th century fortified town at Castellare, in the north-east of the town. The centuries-old stone staircase leads to little summit.
The remains of another fortified enclosure are located on a small dome where a chestnut grove has developed, at a place called Campanaju. These constructions allowed in particular to monitor the axes of circulation below.
In terms of the environment, the trails once used by shepherds and their herds still allow you to travel through the harsh but beautiful landscape of the town, between maquis, forests and rocks.
Lovers of unspoiled nature will be delighted, as will walkers if they are in good physical condition!
Documentation and information on hiking trails from the village or including all or part of its territory at +33 4 95 51 77 77.
The last weekend of July or the first weekend of August, village festival perpetuating the tradition of St. Antioch. On the program, local market and exhibitions highlighting pastoral traditions, exhibition of animals (ewes, goats...), fun and musical entertainment.
Needles Bavella, the archaeological site and Cucuruzzu Capula, trays of Cuscione and horse rides, hiking (Mare a Mare), the oscillating rock ...