Amfreville is a village of Calvados, in the Normandy region, 15 km north-east of Caen.
The small area of ?? 6 km² is located on the right bank of the Orne and the Canal de Caen to the sea flowing in the Channel a few hectometres downstream, at the port of Ouistreham.
Near the coast, the town has three types of landscapes: marshes and grasslands in the west along the Orne, hillsides in the center and east, a plateau that dominates the whole.
Already inhabited during the Gallo-Roman and then Carolingian (tombs of this period have been unearthed), seat of a small but prosperous seigneury under the Ancien Régime, Amfreville has long been an agricultural vocation (breeding, production of cheeses). The village now has more than 1400 inhabitants through the development of subdivisions.
Close to the landing beaches and famous seaside resorts like Cabourg, Amfreville was released on D-Day, June 6, 1944. Despite the fighting, the town has preserved a heritage of interest and a green environment that make it a pleasant stop for who stays in the area.
In terms of built heritage and history, Amfreville has the specificity of owning a site classified both landscape and architecture, the Plain, in the center of the town. It is a set of pastures where once the inhabitants had the right to graze their animals. Then the place was devoted to fairs and festivals. Ponds and trees line this space which has been renovated. Beech trees have been replanted replacing poplars.
The church is the only building in the Plain. Built in 1844 in place of an older chapel, dedicated to Saint Martin, it is neoclassical. In front of the bell tower, which is surmounted by a dome, is a porch. On each side, terraces on the roof form belvederes from which we can see the city of Caen. A 19th century altarpiece is visible inside. For visits or information, contact +33 2 31 78 73 60.
In the village still, are visible an old moutier (small monastery), the old park of the seigniorial castle, noble mansions of XVIIIe and XIXe centuries.
The stele commemorating the sacrifice of the paratroopers who liberated the town in 1944 can also be mentioned.
The marshes and banks of the Orne, the heritage and of course the site of the Plain can be included in various circuits of hiking or mountain biking. Some can lead to the near coastal towns and the landing beaches. Documentation and information on +33 2 31 24 23 57 or +33 2 31 06 20 00.
For fishermen, learn about suitable sites and regulations at +33 2 31 44 63 00.
On the cultural level, activities are regularly offered at the library (story readings, meetings with authors). Information on +33 2 31 78 20 82.
In mid-April and the first Sunday of July, fair attics (flea market, country market and entertainment and music).
In mid-May, Tintamarre is a four-day circus festival: open-air or marquee shows.
The second Saturday of September, forum of associations.