Former castle of the fourteenth century, the castle of Allymes is located on the town of Ambérieu-en-Bugey, in the department of Ain. Listed as an historic monument, it is today the only example of medieval fortress of Bugey.
The building takes place on a mountain at 650 meters above sea level and offers an exceptional panorama on the plain of Bresse and Dombes. This strategic and military position once allowed to watch the gates of Savoie then independent state.
Built around 1310, the castle of Allymes is given a few years later in the hands of the Earl of Savoy following the Treaty of Chapareillan. Demolished in the middle of the sixteenth century, the castle of Allymes is rebuilt soon after at the same place and found attached to the kingdom of France in 1601.
Today you can still admire two towers linked by curtains representing the very example of the medieval stone castle. Outside, we can see a wall of fortifications 90 meters long, and a large square keep of the Romanesque type.
Inside, do not miss the Gothic-style housing backed by the dungeon's rooms with beautiful frames. Visitable, the castle of Allymes also regularly hosts shows and temporary exhibitions.