Appointed by the itinerary of Antoninus and table Peutinger (third century), Viroviacum today Wervicq is old. This is where the Roman road from Tournai to Cassel crossed the Lys (tributary of the Scheldt). Equipped with a strong post which were found traces of it is appointed by Sander in his wonderful "Flandria illustrata" which gives a view in the 17th century.
Over the centuries, it depended on the counts of Flanders, and as the kings of France until 1527, when the Treaty of Madrid made the pass under the sovereignty of the empire. Dependence of Spain, it was cut in two by the conquest of Louis 14th in 1667. From there, the main settlement, located on the left bank, followed the fate of the Belgian provinces, while the suburb of right bank, attached to the maritime Flanders, became more common in the Northern Department, under the name of Wervicq-Sud with the current territorial division established by the Constituent Assembly in 1790.
Instead say "The Mountain" is the old property Dalle-Dumont, communal ownership of 13 hectares, consisting of 3 parts:
In the East, where the garden stands the castle.
In the center of the farm grazed paddocks and a small fishing pond have a very conducive to walking.
In the West, in the Bois, covering an area of 8 hectares, are scattered a monument as well as German military works dating from the First World War. There are specific species such as chestnut, chestnut, oak, elm, ash, beech and many cherry.
At Castle slab you can also visit the museum trades farm.
EVENTS AND CELEBRATIONS
The celebration of Jehan van Helle: Wervicq-Sud remembers she was in the 16th century the main center of tobacco production in Europe and each year, Ascension Day of Jehan van Helle (legendary giant Wervicquois which according to local mythology, would have emerged in the leaves of tobacco Blaton) unfurls its splendor in the heart of the town.