1436 inhabitants in an area of 870 ha, is a common mineral Rieulay peri-urban areas under the influence of the industrialized sector Somain-Pecquencourt but is also a rural valley of the Scarpe its boundary with the mining area.
The village opens to a space Marchiennes in agricultural and natural wetland characteristic of this valley, classified as an area of ecological flora and fauna, justifying its membership Scarpe Escaut Regional Nature Park.
This town also has on its territory the largest flat heap of Nord-Pas-de-Calais with 140 ha.
The town of Rieulay existed well before the year 800 through a Gallo-Roman times. In the late 12th century, Sir Peter Douay became its owner. He built in 1215 a castle and a chapel in 1217.
In 1712 at the Battle of Denain, the Austrians had established their trenches on the outskirts of Rieulay and stored supplies and ammunition along the Scarpe.
During the Revolutionary period, the population of Rieulay was calm and was spared the chapel became a parish church in the Concordat of 1804.
Finally, during the two world wars, Rieulay suffered invasions and German occupations. She was released October 19, 1918 by British troops and September 2, 1944 by U.S. troops.
The House of the heap, museum on the history of coal mining and geology.
The pond Argalis and its leisure at the foot of the heap.
The heap: It is made from the early 20th century by the sterile products Somain neighboring pits and Pecquencourt, gradually covering a wetland and woodland bordering the village to the west and forming a continuous screen of 25 m high . Built largely before the invention of washing, it contains a significant proportion of combustible material, which justified its use by the Coal Mines Basin Nord-Pas-de-Calais from 1975. This operation was used to recover coal that was used for the operation of thermal power Hornaing. The treatment was 7 000 tons a day! Use this operation with the railway does not allow development. In 1977, the Mayor got a test to be conducted along the farm where a pond was dug. He showed that rehabilitation could quickly lead to a new landscape. Exemplary collaboration between the municipality and the company Tercharnor helped organize a redevelopment of wasteland as and when its operation. The heap has followed three lines of development: economic and cultural, tourism and leisure environment.
The Castle: The moats were fed by a diversion of Great Traitoire, the gap of 24 feet and by the flowing nearby. The buildings were composed of 3 large round towers topped with domes of brick. The tower was made of 4 large wings covered with slate. The construction extends from 1207 to 121: it is the feudal castle Rieulay, which built his mansion in the Flemish in the mid 16th century.
The pigeon: Built between 1705 and 1708, it is in place and place of the old dungeon. It consists of a square tower of brick and limestone, topped by an octagonal turret with a slate roof. It was bought by the Compagnie des Mines d'Aniche into housing Houllières National Guards until 1969. Released in 1970, he eventually became property of the Scarpe Escaut Nature Park and turned into a cottage. He is listed as a historic monument since December 19, 1973. There was also supposed, the farm of the castle, where you can see today that the portal arch leading to the school.
EVENTS AND CELEBRATIONS
Fl'Aureily: flower festival, local produce and sustainable development in May.
Cultural decade in November.
Farmers' Market: 2nd Sunday of each month.
Farmers' Market: Structure development and marketing of local produce, open Tuesday through Saturday from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m..