Rhinau is a town of 2,500 inhabitants located 32 km south of Strasbourg. It derives its name from the Rhine. A complimentary tray motor which runs daily connecting the two countries.
Rhinau is mentioned for the first time in the charter of the Emperor Lothair in 845 by which the donation was twelve areas, including Ryno at the Abbey of St-Etienne Strasbourg. In 1236, Ryno was transformed into Rhinow and a document of 1264 mentions the presence of a hospice was founded by the "Joannites" Military Order of St John of Jerusalem.
The successive wars of the late Middle Ages to today, have a greater influence on the history of the city that catastrophes caused by the Rhine.
The Treaty of 1542 finally fixed the boundaries of Rhinau. Thus 997 acres of land located on the right bank of the Rhine, in Germany, still belong to Rhinau and are now classified as Natural Reserve.
On both banks of the Rhine, one encounters an extraordinary nature, shaped over centuries by the regular floods and violent, a true paradise for fauna and flora of emergency.
Very little affected by the First World War, the city will suffer greatly during the Second World War, it causes the evacuation of the population towards the Dordogne where twinning with Beaumont-du-Perigord. Affected 75% of the city Rhinau holds the Croix de Guerre with quote to order the Army Corps.
Rhinau has been completely rebuilt, the old city there remains only the choir of St. Michael's Church dating from 1519 and some houses miraculously spared. It is a young and dynamic town that we discovered today, and where to live ...
The two nature reserves: the Taubergiessen (on the German side) and the island of Rhinau. These sites are exceptionally rich in fauna and flora.
Hobbies and activities:
Flat and arrow trails in natural areas - free.
Boat rides by reservation only, at the Tourist Office of the Community of Municipalities of the Rhine: Tel. : +33 3 88 74 68 96.