Founded in 620 by Saint Romaric, Remiremont (Romaric Mons) housed for over a thousand years, in the chapter Chanoinesses the most renowned in Europe, for its antiquity, richness and quality of recruitment, the lives of women from noble and royal families.
County town on the border of three regions (Lorraine, Franche-Comte and Alsace) and on the road Benelux / Basel, economic hub served by the TGV East, its influence extends to many of the Hautes- Vosges, an area comprising nearly 90 000 inhabitants.
Tourist resort at the junction of the valleys of the Moselle and Moselotte, Remiremont is the starting point of Green Lane and offers ideal access to the "green leisure" in the Vosges which is one of the doors.
Discover the gastronomic specialties of Remiremont:
The Trout Pate des Abbesses, made based trout fillets marinated with white wine, a dish that is eaten hot as an appetizer or main course.
The Goose of Remiremont, cupcake Gingerbread, popular in the Parisian salons of the turn of the century.
The Lorikeet Remiremont of cake made from almond paste with the shape of a star with three branches.
From the glorious past of the chapter of noble ladies Remiremont remains a remarkable architectural heritage:
An old town, once enclosed in a chamber consisting of a beautiful collection of buildings dating mainly from the 18th century the abbey church Saint-Pierre of the 13th century and its Romanesque crypt of the 11th century, listed as one of the oldest buildings in Lorraine, about fifteen canonical houses, private houses the canons from the 18th and the abbot's palace, residence of the abbess and dignitaries of his house built during the same century.
The arcades, which line both sides of the main shopping street Remiremont are a unique architectural curiosity in Lorraine and perhaps even in France. The design of the arches, which date from the 18th century with some older remains, presents a variety of forms: sometimes the arch is narrow and arched, sometimes lowered and an average width or wide basket-handle , with many variations between these three types, which means that no arc is similar. Since their construction, the arches have retained their vocation mall, popular with tourists and Romarimontains.
The 19 fountains 9 of which are classified as historic monuments. They date mainly from the 19th century and some of the 20th century
Outside the city, is the Chapel of the Madeleine, who was a former leper colony.
The Tourist Office is available for guided tours in English, French, and German, adaptable on request by a qualified guide of State.
The Museum of Charles Heath: Birthplace of Charles de Bruyère he bequeathed to the city in 1905, and the collections it houses to make it a museum. Ally of the great families of France, faithful to the values of the Ancien Regime, Charles Heath had collected numerous portraits of aristocrats, religious paintings and memorabilia from Abbey Remiremont. City Remiremont, who inherited the collection, was able to enhance and complement the museum by Charles Heath an encyclopedic museum with prestigious collections including paintings, sculptures, objets d'art, history, folk art Lorraine.
Charles Friry Museum: This museum is located in a house that belonged to the noble chapter of the Ladies of Remiremont, one of the most important abbeys in France. In 1833 Charles Friry young magistrate, moved after his marriage in this house with a prestigious past. Man of many talents, archaeologist, historian, inventor, art collector, artist himself, he will enrich his house for 50 years many paintings and art objects. His work was continued by his grand-son, the painter Pierre Waidmann, the museum has several works.
Venetian Carnival Remiremont: Parade of more than 400 costumed on tunes for 3 days. Free. Mid-March.
Champs Golota: Traditional festival for children into the water craft crafted by them. Week of Lent.
Summer Night: Free shows every Friday evening in July and August.
Parade of Saint-Nicolas: Animation with floats and marching bands. Free. The first Saturday in December.
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
Cleurie: Pretty village while on the balcony Valley Cleurie away from main roads. Cleurie (= clear water) always faces the sun, 12 km from Remiremont.
La Forge: Commune founded in 1789, initially called "Free Forge" whose origin comes from the existence of a Forge in the village, 15 km from Remiremont.
Julienrupt: Small Quiet Village, 500 meters, Julienrupt is located in the verdant valley Cleurie, 13 km from Remiremont.
The Union: The town, founded during the Revolution, is the result of a juxtaposition of seven hamlets in a narrow strip sandwiched between St. Soul and Vagney, 9 km from Remiremont.
Saint-Ame: The village is named after the patron and founder of the parish, with St. Romary, the monastery of Saint-Mont, home of the powerful abbey of Remiremont, 6 km from Remiremont.
Saint-Etienne-les-Remiremont: agricultural and forest hamlet situated at the confluence of the Moselle and Moselotte has grown very important in the 20th century with a flourishing agriculture and industry, 2 km from Remiremont.
Saint-Nabord: A vast territory stretching from north to south and 14 km where the forest ensures a place in the natural landscape, 4 km from Remiremont.
Tendon: Famous for its waterfalls and career of the hut where the stones were extracted granite covering the Champs Elysees, 20 km from Remiremont.
Vecoux: The town belongs geographically to the region of the "Vosges", at the foot of the first major relief. At the confluence of the Moselle and Moselotte, Vecoux, "small valley to attack the mountains", 6 km from Remiremont.