This village, with its town hall, church, restaurant and country cottage is located near the mouth of the Oyapock, Ouanary the creek. We can access it by water or air (private plane, a small airfield campaign). It is a little paradise set in lush greenery on the hillside. On top of that is the television relay that can be seen from far away and can be a walk (the view is spectacular on the mouth, the Oayapock and forest). Other excursions are also possible but all to do with as a guide for locals. You can get to the waterfalls, the galleys on the mountain of silver.
The history of the town is primarily due to a strong Indian presence - Yao and Galibis. Then the French and British fought over the region. In 1726, the Jesuits created a mission to evangelize the Indians. These, in view of the battles between the English and French, fled and replaced by slaves from Africa. In the late eighteenth century, the Swiss engineer Guisan develops the concept of the polders (land diked, drained) on the lowlands. Two large houses were built: one at the foot of Mount Lucas (sugar cane), opposite the present town, and the other on the Silver Mountain. In 1948, the abolition of slavery, the plots are given to the slaves. He settled on the barricades: the birth of Ouanary. In 1949, the village was erected in common.
The mountain of money, access is easier in the dry season. By 1850, the prison built a prison.