At the heart of the Auvergne Volcanoes Park, village character, green holiday resort.
The village is located in Orcival Valley Sioulot. The name of the village has attracted numerous interpretations: "Ourche Val" (Valley of the Source), "Ursus Vallius" (Bear Valley) or "Valley of Orcus" (Gallic god of the underworld).
Originally from Orcival has sometimes been mistaken for a pagan temple dedicated to the worship of sources. The existence of a village that is attested to the 11th century with the establishment of a priory belonging to the monastery of Chaise-Dieu. In the 11th century, there was a church surrounded by a cemetery west of the village is a venerated statue of the Virgin carved, according to legend, by St. Luke.
The current basilica was built in the 12th century. The reasons for this building are certainly related to the possession of relics and a pilgrimage to the growing success.
The Notre Dame:
Built in lava stone (trachyandesite), the basilica need to respect the liturgical orientation, huge earthworks: the mountain had to be indented to the west and the stream diverted to the east.
This basilica is one of the five main churches in Romanesque Auvergne.
Damaged during an earthquake in the 15th century, the tower has been slightly modified. The arrow is after the building and dates from the 19th century, the original having been destroyed during the Revolution. The choir is surrounded by four chapels. Above the main door are hung as a votive offering of shackles and chains of captives freed in recognition offered to the Virgin, called Our Lady of Irons. The basilica has finally a beautiful set of capitals and the Virgin in Majesty, according to legend carved by Saint Luke, covered wooden jewelry, object of a fervent cult and an important pilgrimage to the Ascension.
The Way of the Cross:
The Way of the Cross from the foot of the basilica, conducted annually for Ascension, thousands of pilgrims at Calvary where the Tomb of the Virgin (location of the early church).
The path is lined with fourteen stations. The white cross called "Cross of prisoners" was installed on the hill August 15, 1945 in thanks for the release of prisoners and deportees of World War II.
The tower houses:
Under the influence of a growing pilgrimage, a chapter with 26 canons was erected in 1245 Orcival. The many supporters of this chapter were used to build large tower houses in the village.
Listed building, this medieval fortress is now, after many changes, pleasure palace.
The castle consists of two main buildings in square flanked by three round towers and an impressive quadrangular tower. The hedges surround a French garden designed by Le Notre where Paul Bourget is the plot of his novel "The Demon de Midi".
Rocks and Tuilière Sanadoire:
These are phonolite dykes, remnants of volcanic vents incised and eroded by a glacier at the time Quaternary (- 2 million years).
High of 1288 meters, the particular form of the Roche Tuilière is related to the friction against the walls of lava, when it moves through the volcanic chimney. We exploited these slate roofs to cover many of the region, hence the name of Roche Tuilière.
La Roche Sanadoire takes its name from the phonolite which consists: it sounds when you type. At a height of 1286 meters, the rock bore at its apex a supposedly impregnable fortress that served as the benchmark to a band of looters during the Hundred Years War. The castle was taken in 1375 by Louis II, Duke of Bourbon, but it is likely the earthquake of the late 15th century who completed his disappearance.
The Lake Guery:
At 1244 meters, this lake is of volcanic origin and glacial.
The thickness of ice covering the lake every winter is a delight for lovers of fishing. This practice is unique in France.