If the origin of the name of Menotey is still controversial, it is generally agreed that he would come to Monasterium (monastery) and indeed Menotey housed a monastery, dependent on the Holy Living (near Biarne, about 4 km).
They found traces of life much earlier, since during roadworks in the last century have been updated graves in a cemetery Burgundian the 5th or 6th century.
What was the past Menotey? Especially thanks to Father Jacques, pastor of Menotey the 19th century, we know the history of the village. Although Menotey has seen dark days - whether the looting by the troops of Louis 11th in 1479, or the decimation of the plague and the war in 1636 - Menotey preserves the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, clear evidence of a prosperous past, like his church, the largest of the whole parish, and some houses look like little castles, and especially that of Jean Faivre, flanked by a tower, pierced with loopholes, which was in the late 18th century, the home owner's last feudal Menotey Joseph Jean Philibert of Orival. Menotey also boasts the visit of King Louis 14th came to treat the surrender of the town of Dole in 1674. But the reputation of Menotey was mainly due to his vineyard, which we are told in the last century, it produced the best wines white and red of the Borough of Dole. This wine production was to the early 20th century still the main agricultural resources, unfortunately phylloxera reduced almost to nil. Know that in 1870, were no less than 208 ha of vines were used in the municipality, a municipal total area of 485 ha. He must also know that during the formation of Commons Menotey, then the most important, became thus head of the canton. In 1801 the Township Menotey has been deleted and replaced by that of Rochefort-sur-Nenon.
Menotey is located 8 km north-east of Dole, on the road to Gray, and separates the plain of the Doubs and the Saone. It may also, on the path of Crétillotes admire a unique view to the east, on the Jura and west on the plain of the Saone and the country Dijon. Clinging to the hillside, the village is south and west on the foothills of the Massif de la Serre, who represents the southern end of the Vosges. In fact, the Serre massif consists largely of a granite base. It can easily be seen by strolling through the forest, where granitic rocks appear, and in the stream. Exploitation of porphyry excellent quality exist elsewhere on the territory of Commons Offlanges and Moissey. However, the limestone outcrops here are also very numerous and it is this situation unique is that the country's wine vocation on clay-limestone that make up almost all of its area.
The water activity is quite intense, although not obvious. Very many sources exist on the village, some of which never dry, even during very dry summers. Until recently, the source of Barraques was regularly seen and there is drinking, serene, happy, cool water, pure and non-calcareous. Unfortunately the presence of coliform forcing some to declare it unsafe. The two fountains in the village street Bourguerins and place of Bourgoisotte have been upgraded several centuries ago, which shows the importance they had in village life.
The area of the town is 485 ha, of which 125 are covered by forest, which is communal for almost 93 ha.
If the village population amounted to 738 souls in 1800, rural migration has done its work, strengthened by the phylloxera epidemic in the second half of the 19th century, so the early 20th century the village had not more than 410 inhabitants. The downward sloping curve inexorably pulling the population towards the abyss, reached in 1982 when the village numbered only 189 inhabitants in the census. Since that date there has been a steady rise in the population because, having counted 202 inhabitants in 1990 and 1995, there were 289 at the end of 2001. The 300 mark was reached in late 2002, and this thanks to the renovation of houses, mainly for rental housing, but also by the conversion of second homes in principal residences. The current population hovers around 300. In the census that took place early in 2007 there was a slight decrease in population (274 inhabitants) due largely to the departure of young people from home to school. The population has significantly renewed, since almost 60% of the population lives in the village for less than 15 years. 25% of the population is under 20 years and 18% over 60 years. There are 120 primary residences and second homes 22. The increase in the number of households resident principal was made possible with the increased rental sector and the conversion of second homes.
A Menotey associational life is not very developed compared to other common area, but still quite active. It is the Committee of flowers and Christmas is the most active association in the village in terms of public events. Created in 1972, this association has helped to beautify the village particularly through the flowering both public and private sectors. In 1973 Menotey vied for the title of village flourished, involving a large number of volunteers who understood that the beautification of their village was the basis for improving their living environment. The supreme award was obtained in 1978 with its first national award presented by Jacques Medecin then Minister of Tourism. Menotey obtained and its 4 Flowers. Times have changed since that auspicious day. The bloom has experienced some vicissitudes due in part to an aging population and changes in the structure of its population. In recent years the Committee has sought to regain the momentum that had made Menotey a destination trip Sunday envied across the region.
Menotey has two monuments included in the inventory of historical monuments. It is the fountain and the plight of the Bourgoisotte, and the oratory of the God of Mercy. The fountain probably dates from the 18th century when the ordeal is older (XVII). As the God of Mercy, the inscription it bears on its front tells us precisely about its origin. It dates from 1566 and was erected at the request of its donor, the Sieur Aubry Lombardet at the end of the plague which had been spared Menotey. The presence of these two historic landmarks "official" mean that almost all of the area of the village is included in their scope of protection.
The village also has other notable buildings. The church is not the least of these buildings. It is the largest churches in the parish of Our Lady of Mount Guerin, comprising no fewer than 17 villages, which reflects the importance that the village centuries ago. Built probably the site of an older chapel (since 1354 the church was listed among Menotey Dependencies Saint Vivant), it was built from 1507. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is the contemporary collegiate Dole, and one can see the resemblance of the entrance porch with two arches, framed by marble columns Sampans with that of the Jesuit chapel Dole. It contains several statues including a remarkable 16th St. Bernard and St. Vernier, patron saint of winemakers, and Saint Leonard of the 15th century.
The fountain Bourguerins recalls precisely the fountain Bourgoisotte, but it has not been inventoried as a historical monument. It was renovated in 1992. We will not rely on the inscription on its pediment (1320) which is due to the whim of a mason during the renovation. In reality it should be roughly contemporary with that of Bourgoisotte. In summer the fountain, very flowery, is a busy place, and we like to discuss and strolling, taking charge. It offers an ideal setting for a few summer musical entertainment offered by the municipality.
The municipal building, a beautiful building in the mid-nineteenth century, which houses City Hall, also housed, until 1999, primary school (in fact the major section and the preparatory course). This former classroom is now what we call the Hall of Honor of the City Council. The Post occupies the eastern part of the building, housing the receiver to the floor. Above the City, there are two rental units in over 120 sqm each, which were renovated in early 2002.
The Cure and the Cave of the holidays is another site full of history and takes great importance in village life. In fact this building was built in 1727 by Father Bel, housed, until the 70's, the cure. After the departure of the last Menotey priest, Father Simonin, work has been undertaken to accommodate, within a grouping Educational Intercommunal, kindergarten, starting in 1972. The site of the cure is a important meeting place and very popular, whether for parties, family gatherings or friendly, but also for children who enjoy the playground, away from traffic.