Located northeast of the Charente, at the confluence of the Vienne and Goire, Confolens, with its keep, its Romanesque churches, the remains of its fortifications, reflects the role it had in the Middle Ages. Confolens enjoyed prosperity due to the activity of its tanneries. On both sides of Old Bridge sixty houses with wood sides and many mansions attest to that time.
In the 19th century, became sub-prefecture, she held administrative and commercial functions, which changes its townscape.
Since 1958, the Festival of Arts and Traditions of the World each year attracts tens of thousands of people in the first half of August.
In 1895, Auguste Redon created a cake of almond paste called Kroumirs from local specialty.
Its two churches, St. Bartholomew and St. Maximus, the chapel of the Commandery, and the mansion of the Counts, the keep, the old Hall of Justice. Rue du Soleil, with the house of the Duke of Epernon (late 15th century), who had served in 1619 of conspiracy to place the kidnapping of Marie de Medici. The door of the Ford, the streets of Adoue the Fontorse. See also, the square Jules Halgand with the remains of fortifications on the River.
At the cemetery, the tomb of Cecilia Marie Jeanne Crévelier, made with the stones of an ancient dolmen and a stone sarcophagus of Volvic.
The label is Confolentais of Art and History: The Tourist Office offers entertainment programs in the spring, summer and autumn.
In season, the Bike-Rail short pleasant walk in the shade of numerous trees. It also has a small museum on the train.
Franck Rivaud Trail: This circuit can discover Confolens, capital of Charente Limousine.
The festival of world arts and popular traditions In August 2014
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
Part of the GR 48 takes the paths of Confolentais. A total of 71 trails, 1 to 14 km, criss-cross the Confolentais. The GR 48 is the liaison between the GR 3 and GR 4, between Chinon (37) and Rochechouart (87). A note at the trailhead Paule Lavergne, Binot Bridge Devil's Bridge or known to have been demolished by the devil several times ...
The Museum of Ostensions to Esse.
The ruins of the castle of Saint-Germain-de-Confolens.
The Abbey with her Lesterps Heritage House (open summer only).
The abbey of Charroux.
The Abbey Cellefrouin.
The infamous martyr village of Oradour-sur-Glane.
The Gallo-Roman Chassenon (Cassinomagus), open all year.
The park adventure Massignac.
Steeple St. Maxime with the keep on the right
Old oil mill Louis Quériaud
Chapel of the Commandery
Church of St. Bartholomew the 13th and 15th centuries