The common Champs-sur-Yonne is located 5 km from Auxerre as the crow flies. It extends in a narrow strip on the right bank of the Yonne. On these lands was very quickly shown the presence of human groups (5000 years BC).
The first historical mention of Champs 12th century. At that time the village was to be a small rural community dependent on its neighbor, Vaux. It built its ramparts in the 16th century.
The Notre-Dame de Liesse: now much altered (but whose western portal seems to date from the late 13th century), the church stands to the north end of Main street. Mere "chapel" to the mid-16th century, people then get the right to baptisms and celebrate mass.
Even if the village had only 40 houses in the 18th century, earlier remains have survived: a small window of ogee early 16th century (3 rue du Moulin), the staircase turret of the impasse La Tourelle ...
There were also two mills Champs-sur-Yonne (river): that of the village and the hamlet of Toussac.
A small bridge, so that people can cross the Yonne and the hamlet of Barrée Court, will be built in 1837.
For more historical information, a book about the village of Champs-sur-Yonne is available at City Hall in the town.
The fountain Sombron: a rare piece of architecture dating from 1880, under renovation. It is located near the Town Hall.
Also, a small stone bridge very romantic, spans a small tributary of the Yonne, at the end of the Grande Rue.
Garage sale: the first Sunday in June, the streets very pleasant along the Yonne.
Village festival with fireworks, the second weekend of September.
Christmas market: the second Sunday in December.
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
The archaeological site of Escolives-Sainte-Camille, close to Champs is a Gallo-Roman villa which we visit the impressive spa. We can also see a permanent exhibition of objects of everyday life and a set of monumental sculpture discovered in reinvestment in these baths foundation. This is one of the largest collections of sculptures of northern Gaul.