The town of Bellegarde, 6500 inhabitants account for 4500 ha. Located 17 km from Nîmes and 15 km from Arles and the Camargue between Curbs, it offers a mixed identity that is apparent even in its traditions in its history, its landscapes or even the products of its soil.
Since 4700 years, taking advantage of the many existing sources, the man occupies the territory, later crossroads of routes to major cities of antiquity and Middle Ages. Traces of the occupation remain with the remnants of an underground aqueduct, the Roman road "Domitian" and his toll bridge "Pons Aérarius" which allowed the crossing of the ancient swamps of the plain and contained in the current coat of arms of the city. This predominantly agricultural 30 years ago, has fully adapted to our modern world, offering all of its inhabitants and visitors a range of activities and full service rarely found in a common this size.
Its dynamism is also evident in tourism, parks (city flower label 2 stars), twinning (with the cities of Germany and Gersfeld Villamartin, Spain), traditions and many cultural events and festivals.
Bellegarde has not lost its ties with its rich agricultural heritage, since 5 AOC is recognized in its territory (Clairette de Bellegarde, Wine tasting, rice and bulls of the Camargue, Nimes olive oil).
Described as "water town" Bellegarde has combined tradition and modernity while creating an exceptional living environment.
Broussan, a priory, chapel: The Middle Ages Broussan takes off with the installation of a priory including many lands, woods, marshes and farms.
The oil mill of the 19th century: It already existed in 1813 and probably if one refers to the grinding wheel made out in 1740.
The gardian hut: The house, built by the highly perishable materials that compose it, has emerged from the 17th century.
The ancient aqueduct: Mentioned since the year 640, the volume of 1.70 m high and 1.55 m wide, take his pickup west of the city outside the Mas Laval, near the site Chateau Laval.
Tower Bellegarde: Mentioned for the first time under the name "Castrum Bella Gardae" rectangular keep this in 1208 of 14.25 m 10.98 m is typical of the Middle Ages. Ideal for monitoring, this tower installed at 56 m height above the village and the entire plain. It was part of a much larger fortified who played a dissuasive role and prestige.
A history of the church: In 1663, construction began on the church's current site in St John. In 1853 we realize that the church is too small. We therefore choose to destroy it to rebuild it in 1860 to its present position.
Fountains: Fountains of the Lions, the Dauphin, the little boy, the Sirens, St-Jacques, vineyards ... They are more than 16 to cool the town of their waters.
Channels: The channel Beaucaire "Aigues-Mortes" or the "Rhône-Sete" is the logical extension of the Canal du Midi. It will be officially opened in 1805. The channel Philippe Lamour 'role is to irrigate crops for 50 years.
The marina: Born with the channel (1805), there is first a short stop for the transfer of wine barrels and other goods. Its activity linked to the channel will go into oblivion in the 1970s.