Capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region, Montpellier has preserved its rich heritage. Boasting a vast pedestrian area, which make the happiness of walkers, the city of Montpellier is perfect for a stroll.
To discover along the walk:
- The old city of Montpellier, called Ecusson, with its narrow streets lined with shops, its mansions, such as the Varennes mansion, the Trésoriers de la Bourse mansion and the Trésoriers de France mansion, and its lively squares decorated with fountains and cafe terraces;
- The not to be missed pedestrian Comédie square, situated in the heart of Montpellier, and the Charles de Gaulle esplanade shaded by plane trees;
- The Peyrou promenade and its beautiful view of the city and the Saint-Clément aqueduct;
- The triumphal arch, the Saint-Pierre cathedral of Southern Gothic style, the botanical garden;
- The Antigone new district and its numerous squares.
The Varennes mansion is home to two museums: the Montpellier Old City museum, which exhibits paintings, ceramics and objects dating from the Middle Ages to the 19th century, and the Fougau museum dedicated to arts and popular traditions.
The museum Fabre contains collections of paintings and sculptures from the 15th century to our days.
Eighth largest city in France, Grand university center, Montpellier has combined charm and sweetness of life in a southern city, and cultural ferment of the largest European cities.
Here, the charm of the old meets the extraordinary. Medieval streets, ideal for shopping, wide pedestrian heart of town, the Fabre Museum Montpellier Community, one of the richest collections of fine art in Europe, the Faculty of Medicine and incredible conservatory Anatomy, The Panacea, the new exhibition center and design studio dedicated to the visual arts, which opened its doors in June 2013, the iconic neoclassical Antigone district Catalan Ricardo Bofill 's design trams, not to mention the latest contemporary goals from Jean Nouvel, Massimiliano Fuksas, Zaha Hadid Montpellier... But it is also and above the Mediterranean Sea 11 km, sites are among the most prestigious world heritage, the largest vineyard in the world, lively terraces and 300 days of sunshine year. Destination pleasures. A live. Intensely !
The Plant Garden adjoining the Faculty of Medicine, created under Henri IV.
Place de la Comédie.
The Esplanade Charles de Gaulle.
The River Lez.
Saint- Pierre Cathedral.
The Fabre museum, in addition to its permanent collection, hosts regular exhibitions.
The Agropolis museum organizes cooking classes for children.
The aquarium Mare Nostrum.
Every Wednesday at 20:30 will hold free seminars of one to two hours at room Rabelais near the Place de la Comédie.
The exhibition at the Musée Fabre of the impressionist painter Frederic Bazille, child Montpellier, is a marvel. Do not miss it !
Every Friday in the summer on the Esplanade are held the Summer: wine producers, music, outdoor dining. It's an experience. This is a very nice evening.