Appointed by the itinerary of Antoninus and table Peutinger (third century), Viroviacum today Wervicq is old. This is where the Roman road from Tournai to Cassel crossed the Lys (tributary of the Scheldt). Equipped with a strong post which were found traces of it is appointed by Sander in his wonderful "Flandria illustrata" which gives a view in the 17th century.
Over the centuries, it depended on the counts of Flanders, and as the kings of France until 1527, when the Treaty of Madrid made the pass under the sovereignty of the empire. Dependence of Spain, it was cut in two by the conquest of Louis 14th in 1667. From there, the main settlement, located on the left bank, followed the fate of the Belgian provinces, while the suburb of right bank, attached to the maritime Flanders, became more common in the Northern Department, under the name of Wervicq-Sud with the current territorial division established by the Constituent Assembly in 1790.