The first trace of Villeneuve back to 888. The town was then called Anulvilla and then be called Villanova and Villeneuve la Crémade because burned by Road ( deserters, forming bands of looters set fire to the village) and finally Villeneuve-lès-Montréal.
Villeneuve was built by a bourgeois Cathar from Tonneins. This is one of the 17 circular villages of the Aude.
The village is situated on the banks of Rébenty, a tributary of Fresquel amid fertile land producing vegetables, fodder, cereals and excellent table wine.
Located in the department of Aude, Canton of Montreal, Languedoc- Roussillon, Villeneuve-lès-Montréal is the common 32,329th ranking cities in France in view of its population was 264 inhabitants in 2014. This population was 6 inhabitants in 1427 and 309 inhabitants in 1846. Its inhabitants are called Villenovains and Villenovaines.
In 1207, Bernard Chevalier de Villeneuve, was one of the lay judges of the conference held in Montreal, before the papal legates, contradictorily with the Albigensian heretics. In 1529, the lord of Villeneuve was the archer chatellenie of Montreal. In 1759, Count de Lautrec, baron of States, was lord of Villeneuve-lès-Montréal. The Abbadie family, who owned the manor until the Revolution, remained owner of the castle and Villeneuve land until 1840.
The old village called " the City " is circular. He was surrounded by ditches. We are penetrated by a single door preceded by a drawbridge. He no trace of the old door. In the modern part of the village are the old feudal castle and town hall.