Villefranche-de-Conflent is located at the confluence of three rivers that are the Tet, the Cady and Rotja. The city was built in 1092 by the Count of Cerdanya, William Raymond, and it is this same year was given permission by the Bishop of Elne to build the church of St Jacques.
In 1095 the city was called Villa Franca. Tax liens prompted many artisans to move here: weavers, tanners, weavers, masons, and traders.
In 1681, Vauban built Fort Liberia and recasts Villefranche, enhances the ramparts, built a barracks, a hospital, a bastion, and magazines, and demolition of the Franciscan convent in the Faubourg.
During the reign of Louis XVI, driveway gates are replaced by large doors in pink marble from Villefranche, and drawbridges.
In the 19th century, Napoleon is the third major works including underground called "1000 steps" to access the high Liberia (775 steps) from the bridge St Peter, Bridge to the 12th century.
The village has recently registered in UNESCO World Heritage site and part of the Vauban Circuit.
Villefranche contains within it many shops as well as artisans (traditional bakery, pottery, leather cutters, goldsmiths, and manufacture of witches).
The ramparts of the city.
The Romanesque church of the 12th century porch and pink marble.
Bridge St Pierre.
Streets St Jacques and St John with their beautiful homes, some of which date from the Middle Ages.
Visits to caves Canalettes 300 meters from the village.
The fort Liberia.
Start the Little Yellow Train to Villefranche-de-Conflent.