It is a village built on a hillside overlooking the valley of the Vézère. Vigeois has spread to the other side with a 12th-century Old Bridge. The town considered one of the villages of character of Corrèze, owes its existence to an ancient abbey. The village name is a name of Gallic origin evokes the place where is located an inhabited place.
Vigeois is one of the oldest known sites in Lower Limousin: an abbey founded in the 6th century given the nucleus of life, but will be devastated many times over the centuries. In the 12th century feudal life softens. Geoffroy du Breuil, said Vigeois writes his columns.
Witnesses of the distant past, the abbey church and the Old Bridge, also known as Bridge of English (both historical monuments). Excavations in the spring of 1993, discovery of remains Merovingians, some of which are visible in the church (sarcophagi).
The story continues. Vigeois became a village in bloom. Its houses with slate roofs surround the remarkable Romanesque abbey church of the 12th century.
A 2 km from the town, towards the main road by Brive 7, in a green valley stretches Pontcharal Lake (15 ha). Below the dam holding, we see the old floor of the pond of the monks of the abbey that was gutted in the revolution by the angry residents. On the edge of the lake to enjoy the pleasures of water, a sandy beach 200 m long with a lifeguard in July and August back three acres of "green range" shady, diving, pedal boats, bowling, volleyball, restaurants, shaded picnic. Areas are reserved for anglers (trout, gudgeon, carp, roach ...). A hiking trail, easy to browse, went around the lake (2.8 km).
Vigeois The Abbey is one of the most valuable witnesses to the art and architecture books in Bas Limousin (capitals in particular) and has been classified a historical monument July 12, 1886.
The east meets a precious balance between the chapels of the transept and those of the choir. The roof of the apse and chapels is based on a cornice supported by carved corbels, all different, depending on the imagination of artists who have depicted characters grimacing or humorous. On each side of the apse rise two towers containing access stairs to the attic. The bell tower is located above the north transept. It is served by a gateway lobed and adorned with two statues - Saint Peter and Saint Paul.
Bridge of English:
The old bridge Vigeois on Vézère, said "the English Bridge" built by the end of the 14th Century (100 Years War: 1337-1431), was built in crazy paving. It is equipped with almond-shaped pier-heads. In addition, the foothills below provide the foundation piles.
It is classified historical monument since November 14, 1969. It was beautifully restored in 2004/2005.
Close to the abbey, located on the premises of the local school, is an If-old from 1100 to 1400 years. It is possible that this tree dates from the 6th century ie the period of foundation of the abbey by St. Yrieix.
Being located 60 meters east of the abbey church, if this was perhaps originally, a tree funeral: it is possible that it has been planted in the cemetery of the abbey. It would have symbolized eternity and the immortality of the soul.
This remarkable tree has been awarded the "Tree" in May 2000.
Pontcharal Lake (15 ha):
Sandy beach 200 m long (supervised swimming in July and August).
Zones reserved for anglers (trout, gudgeon, carp, roach ...).
Hiking, easy to navigate, making around the lake (2.8 km).
For children to discover the village in a fun way, a booklet called''games Vigeois Tell Me''is available at the Town Hall and the offices of the Tourist Office (in Donzenac and Vigeois). Visit having fun, this is the slogan!