Varaignes is at the crossroads of three departments. This town in the north of the Green Périgord, affecting virtually Charente west and north, at a distance of 15-20 km, the Limousin.
Memories of the Middle Ages are many Varaignes. Castle ( fourteenth to the early 17th century ) and the church gathered once by underground. Recipes (now restaurant ) was the place where people brought the tax in kind they were the Lord.
The village mill and bread oven ( not visitable ) and the fountain of Saint Jean, old fountain devotions. A former coaching inn with its sign still visible " Lodge on foot and on horseback."
Old houses huddled against each other in narrow streets that climb the slope leading to the top of the creek plateau.
Frequently Asked Turkeys of Saint Martin (11 November) since at least the time of Henry the 4th and Sully. This is the only fair which is constantly maintained over the centuries. Turkey flocks come to the fairgrounds in the parade as they once were able to walk with the farmers. That day, in the marquee and restaurants Varaignes is served turkey.
Many turkey farmers have settled in and around Varaignes.
Varaignes kept the medieval structure of ordered around his castle village. In 1280, Robert de Montbron is Lord Varaignes. In 1451, the Manor of Varaignes pass Montbron François Gautier de Perusse, Lord of the Cars Vauguyon the Coussière, Roussines, the Tower Bar, the Den and the Barony of St Germain in Vienna . Lords of Varaignes had the right to High, Medium and Low justice of the parishes of Soudat, Bussière, Busseroles, Chapel St Robert Dordogne and the Souffrignac, Emouthiers-Ferrier, Ecuras, Roussines and enclaves Montbron.
The advantage of this castle is that it allows to embrace the evolution of the local architecture of the 14th to 16th century square tower, the Gothic architecture of the 15th century hexagonal tower and the facade of the courtyard 16th Italian Renaissance-inspired. The present castle was the center of a defensive enclosure that last turn, the site of the current station was destroyed in 1920.
The communal Castle Varaignes is included in the inventory of buildings in France. It was restored through the efforts of the Tourist and Cultural Animation Fireplace Varaignes who received the first prize in the National Competition Antenne 2 "Chef works in Peril" hands on 12/16/81 the Minister of Culture.
Workshop-Museum Weavers and Charentaise Varaignes:
Located in the Castle Varaignes, he traces the history of the textile industry of the Périgord-Limousin, home of the slipper. It also exhibits contemporary textile creations. It is a living by his workshops museum activity: labor fiber production "Charentaises".
His home village weaver has hand tools: spindles, spinning wheels, flying shuttle loom ... In her workshops, textile machines operate at the request spinning line with its laboratory business Jacquart and tape, carding and fulling to markers, first knitting machines. The workshop sewn-returned famous "Charentaises".
Textiles exhibitions and events follow one another throughout the year.
Animations Workshop-Museum: market Weavers of Pentecost, and in season, facilitated workshops Monday and Thursday.
The Lud'eau: Trail Interpretive Lud'eaux RAM:
Varaignes Located near the hook, small stream, is an animated presentation (models on site operation) in the history of hydraulics in the Perigord-Limousin forges, mills, sawmills, textile mills and, turbine and electricity, wind, environment and geology.
Textile and dyeing plants on discovery trail of bright Lud'eaux. Presentation of plant species were more or less used in local industry.
The Hall was rebuilt but has retained part of its original appearance.
The village mill and oven, partly visible.
The pigeon ... that is discovered during the Tour of the Village, this course is available at the Tourist Office.