Turenne superb medieval village is located 15 km south of Brive la Gaillarde and is one of the most beautiful villages of France.
Until 1738 the Vicomte de Turenne stretched over one third of the lower Limousin, Quercy and high Perigord Sarlat. There were then about 100 000 inhabitants, 111 parishes and 1 200 villages. The construction of the castle lasted about 4 centuries. Turenne has seen a succession four families in eight centuries (984 to 1738). In 1738, Turenne is sold to Louis 15th to 4 200 000 pounds to repay debts games Charles Godfrey of Bouillon, the last of the Viscounts of La Tour d'Auvergne (which was excerpted Marshal Turenne). Thus ends the quasi-independence of the last French stronghold. The Viscomtins, became subjects of Louis XV, were forced to tax and the king ordered the dismantling of the fortress. In this long period display, a set of beautiful villages around Turenne make a kind of capital.