Location: town board, the plain of Caen, the regional capital, the center of the marsh area of the Valley of the Dives. Porte du Pays d'Auge.
The history dates back to 1022 Troarn with Roger Montgomeri who built the first of a college. Succeeding his father, Roger 2nd from Montgomeri summoned monks from the abbey of Conches (Eure) and founded the Benedictine abbey St Martin in 1048 on the site of the former. The church was dedicated May 13, 1059 by Odo of Conteville, bishop of Bayeux, half brother of William says "The Bastard". The monk will Durand was appointed the first abbot. Roger second of Montgomeri (a descendant of this famous family had to participate in the liberation of Normandy in 1944) was Mabile Bellême wife who died tragically murdered in Bures-sur-Dives in his mansion. She was buried in the abbey of St. Martin Troarn. Religious wars in 1562 and the Revolution of 1789 destroyed the abbey whose property was confiscated, sold and scattered. Troarn had to endure the war of 1914-1918 before the German occupation of World War II. Devastated during the Battle of Normandy, she was released August 17, 1944. Since its reconstruction, Troarn experiencing considerable population growth.
The Tomb of Sir Hugh: The sarcophagus is richly carved and fitted with a long commemorative inscription, is one of very few examples of funerary sculpture Romanesque Norman survived until today. It was discovered in 1909 in a location corresponding to the transept of the abbey of Saint-Martin Troarn. This could be a knight Hugues de Montgomeri, brother of Roger II, founder of the Abbey of Saint-Martin. It would therefore predates the year 1040.
The remains of the abbey of Saint Martin in the 11th century (visible from the outside only).
The Romanesque Revival church was rebuilt in 1890 and restored after the war (especially the bell tower).
The tomb of Sir Hugh (eleventh century).
The old town hall which dates back to the years 1830-1848 where the headquarters Office of Tourism.
The Marshes of Dives.
The building of the clock, the former hospital founded in 1748 with its chapel and grotto of Lourdes.
Leaflets and documents on these monuments and the history of Troarn are available at the Tourist Office or at local access.