Treffort is located 15 km north-east of Bourg-en-Bresse. This town was merged with that of Cuisiat in 1972. This small village is situated on the foothills of the Jura, the upper village is located in Revermont, and the lower-en-Bresse.
The history of this village was torn for centuries. Indeed, first under Burgundian domination, it was from 1289 under Savoyard domination until the 17th century, when the department of Ain became definitively French.
Formerly mainly vineyards, crops are currently located in the plain. A small industry and many shopkeepers and craftsmen ensure the life of the city.
The village has kept many traces of this turbulent history, as its architecture fortified castle, its church, its halls, its hospital, or the many small houses built with stones from the castle, which can be observed through many re-employment in the village houses.