The Tournonais, Land of Heritage ... The history of cities located along the Rhone starts with the Celts and the Gallo-Roman counters that build (or ports) as Muzolium became Saint John of Muzols enjoying the privileged position of this region, allowing, among other by the Sweet fly into the Massif Central. In creating, the first roads and bridges first, they favored the establishment of towns and villages. Indeed, the original town of Tournon was built along a route from Lyon to the Mediterranean and the village of Boucieu-le-Roi was created near a Roman bridge over the Sweet.
It was in 817 that we find the first written record of Tournon. Under the name "Turnone", marking the official beginning of its history.
It was at this time that comes to live a rich feudal family from later called "the Counts of Tournon." They will choose to install their fortress on this rock of granite overlooking the Rhone valley. In 1308 the north Vivarais is annexed by the Kingdom of France after being land of empire since the 11th century. The Lordship of Tournon had a very wide field and enjoyed a great reputation throughout the region, among other charges by many that could have a few counts or countesses to the Court of France.
The Tournonais, Land of Traditions! This majestic vineyard extends along the Rhone valley over 1000 ha between Chavanay (42) and Guilherand-Barns (07). With an ancient tradition, the white or red wine formerly known as "Wine Purple" is tasted at the court of Charlemagne. More than 20 growers are located on the Tournonais you and share their passions during tastings to those who want it. Every Friday from May to September at 16h, the Tourist Office offers days of Tournon "Open House cellars" for individuals who want it. Privileged terroir, the Tournonais also stands out thanks to its many producers of cheeses, honey, traditional charcuterie, organic products ... This is an opportunity for unforgettable encounters with the locals.