Thury-Harcourt is twenty-four kilometers south of Caen, in the valley of the Orne.
The old name is Thury, but the marquis de Thury was erected into a duchy for the benefit of Henri d'Harcourt, Marquis de Thury as the "Duchy of Harcourt" in 1709, inducing a change of name.
During the 17th century, several families settled in Canada. With them goes the parish priest, Abbe Lesueur. They founded the parish of Saint-Sauveur, Quebec. Among them, Peter Legardeur, general of the fleet of New France, gave his name to the cities and Legardeur Repentigny, Quebec.
The city was 75% destroyed during the Battle of Normandy in July 1944. La Fleche, Sarthe, was the city's godmother 1939-1945 war of Thury-Harcourt.
Thury-Harcourt is located in the valley of the River Orne, surroundings that are undulating, as Clécy or the Roche Oëtre, are a striking contrast with the Plateau de Caen located further north. The Suisse Normande, made up of hills, attracts visitors because of the many sporting activities that can be practiced.
The church of Saint-Benin, Public School Paul Héroult, sundial tower of the church Saint-Sauveur, the park and the front of the castle Thury-Harcourt.